The Giant Swing

Finalist in the 'Empowered 2008' competition

As I pull the blue and white striped rope nothing happens. So I pull again but still nothing happens… Then suddenly my stomach jumps up in to my mouth WOSH. My eyes are blurred from looking around through the foggy plastic protective goggles.
The blazing sun was blocking my eyes from looking down at the mixture of mud and dim grass below. I feel queasy because I’m so high above the ground. My hands are stiff and cramped from holding on to the big thick rope like an eagle does with it’s prey.
As I was soaring through the thin crisp air I felt a wave of emotion come over me. A mixture of excitement, pleasure and being proud. ‘I can fly like a bird’ I yelled with glee. It felt like I was running on thin air with my legs dangling below. My hair was swaying as the wind made it go backwards like a hair dryer, when drying your hair.
At last the clattering ladder on wheels came up from below me so I could land safely. Finally I feel my legs touch the solid ground. A few of my best friends congratulate me and most patted my back and ask if it was scary. I felt a jolt of courage come back to me.
The giant swing was one of the best things in my short life so far.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!