Nightmare

Finalist in the 'Empowered 2008' competition

Salty tears ran down her cheeks, mixing with the rain that dripped off her nose.
It was raining hard but she kept running. She tried to tell herself that if she ran she would be safe.But she knew in her heart that, no matter what, she would never be safe.Even though she couldn’t see him she knew he was following her, waiting.
“Come to me, I can help you.” His words hung over her, the vision of his cold eyes branded into her memory. For the first time in her life, she was afraid.
It was foggy and she couldn’t see her nose in front of her face, the ground was treacherous, but she kept running. She knew the risks: bogs, sudden drop offs and wild animals. But at that moment, nothing was more frightening than he was.
Though she couldn’t see, she knew she was entering the forest. The trees loomed over her like dark, towering buildings, twisted and disfigured. She hesitated, not knowing where to turn, for the forest was dangerous at night.
As soon as she stopped she heard footsteps behind her getting closer, until it was as if they were right behind her. But when she turned there was no one there, just the fog, swirling above the ground, like ghosts in a whirlwind. “Come…” the words echoed through the trees mixing with the wind, howling like forgotten spirits, coming from every direction. But the fog clouded the trees and the bushes, making it impossible to escape. “I can help you…”
She ducked her head and ran through the trees. She darted from the forest and out into the open. She stumbled aimlessly through the fog, tripping over rocks and shrubs.
The fog thickened in front of her. Then she lost her footing and fell down a slope, bumping her elbows and knees on rocks. She felt a sharp pain as a small branch cut into her arm. She tumbled head over heels and landed in a heap at the bottom. She looked up and saw the dark figure appear at the top of the hill.
She ran on until in front of her through the fog she made out the drop-off of a cliff. She stopped just in time. She turned around and saw the dark figure appearing in the mist. He walked forward and she stepped back. She tripped and fell over the cliff.
She fell down, down, down…
Screaming, she woke up. Cold sweat was running down her forehead.
It was just a dream… or was it?
“Come to me. I can help you…”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!