Tales Of Budgerigars

“This is the life, isn't it Dad. Dad? Daaaad? Dad where are you?” said Feeather, Flick's young daughter.
“Here I aaaaaaaaaaaam!” shouted Flick as he came swooping down right over Feeather's head.
“Geez dad, you nearly gave me a heart attack. Seriously.” exclaimed Feeather as her dad started chuckling to himself.
“Oh come on Feeather, lighten up. I'm getting older, so are you, so have some fun once in a while. I might not be around in a few years time.” said Flick with a grin on his face, and with that they both started to crack up laughing.
Finally they flew over to their house.
“Where have you two been?” asked Feeather's mum, Budgie, “Now this is a warning, if you two ever, ever, ever, ever leave the house again for more than two hours, you will feel like you should have never left! OK!” warned Budgie, with a nasty look on her face. “At least we have one smart bird around the house,” went on Budgie pointing towards an egg with her wing.
“It hasn't even hatched out of the egg Mum!” complained Feeather.
“We should have a competition of what the name should be for the bird,” suggested Flick distracting them. “Well, if it's a girl,” started Flick, “I would call it Flori.”
“Flori is a nice name for a girl, but if it's a boy, then we should call it Buddie,” announced Budgie, who in her mind really wanted it to be a girl.
As days turned to weeks, the egg didn't show signs of opening up.
“This is it! I'm thinking it's not going to hatch.” said an anxious Budgie.
“Now don't say that hon,” said Flick “you never know, it might be a late egg, like we had with Feeather.”
“Hey, you guys never said that!” argued Feeather.
“And we didn't want to say it.” said both Budgie and Flick softly.
After hours of arguing, they didn't notice that the egg was rolling around. Budgie still didn't notice it even when it rolled up her foot!
“Hey! Look! The egg, it's rolling!” said Budgie, as she finally realized that it was moving. After a few minutes of rolling around, it stopped. It cracked open. It revealed to be a baby budgerigar.
“Is it a boy or a girl?” said Feeather, trying to get a look at the baby over her parent's shoulders.
“Doesn't matter, ring Bill (Feeather's older brother), also ring the doctor” shouted Budgie after Feeather. Feeather did both. Half an hour later, the doctor arrived. He examined the baby and he said,
“It's a girl!” Budgie immediately started dancing on the spot and everyone in the room (including Bill who had just walked in) watched with concern as she was near their cabinet with all their glass ornaments.
“OK hon, that's enough” said Flick.
“Yeah Mum listen to Dad” added Bill. From behind them they heard a chirp of excitement from their new baby, Flori.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!