SAFE

Safe

The wind blows in the branches, the long, long branches, they dance in the moonlight. Their shadows take eerie formations on the forest floor. Their long jagged fingers grab me by my hair. I don’t feel welcome here so I creep away cautiously.

Out of the trees, the thick forest trees, I come to a lake.
The moon’s reflection has lit up the glistening water.
Its beauty is hypnotizing but I can’t stay, it is starting to rain.

I desperately look around for a sign, a hint, anything.
The rain is getting heavy now it pounds me on my back
Frantically I dart back into the trees. I am scared because now the thunder is cracking.

In the cave the small dark cave, I forget my fears. The lightning does not haunt me. Not even the trees which sway to and fro, with their shadows threatening me. The bats take refuge with me, but I am not worried. They were just as scared as I was.

In the cave, the warm, welcoming cave; I am safe.

Written by Yanery Ventura
Age: 12 years
Grade Level: Grade 7
School: Holy Spirit School, Bray Park

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!