The Legend Of The Aurora

Finalist in the 'Empowered 2008' competition

Long ago, while the snow was falling and the ice just forming, a girl, running through the trees, burst out of the forest into ankle deep snow. Clad in seal skin and fox fur, she ploughed her way through the clearing and entered another forest beyond. The girl was six, maybe seven years old. Panic was etched on her youthful face and urgency made her run even faster.
A small, precious item was cradled in her hand…
Following her trail was a pack of hungry wolves, getting closer every second… The girl spotted the glow. Desperate to reach it, she urged her aching legs to run faster. Bursting into another clearing, the girl caught her breath and raised her head to shout. The clearing was lined with many tents of different sizes. They were all made of seal skin. Many open fires burnt outside to light the first night of the long, dark, six month winter. A snuffling noise sounded behind her, she whipped around to find a pack of eight very hungry wolves staring at her. Without taking her eyes off the leader of the pack, she screamed, “Wolves, there are wolves… HELP!!!” Many strong men rushed out of their tents. The shouting men ran towards her with blazing torches. The fire leapt out at them and howling, they ran off into the blackening night.
She ran toward her tent and into the arms of a woman. “Iskra, I was so worried about you!”
“Oh Mama, I found the Mystical Box!” Mama looked at her, “You found the Mystical Box?” Iskra’s little hand unclenched, revealing the precious, small jewelled box. It was the colour of emerald green with a border of lilac flowers. The centres of the flowers were encrusted with amethyst stones, the colour of spirit, love and hope. A tiny golden key, sitting on top of a smoothed wooden log, would open the special box. “Open it Mama!” So Mama reached for the key and with trembling hands, placed it very carefully into the little slot at the front of the box.
The Mystical Box opened with a click. Two eager faces peered inside the box as the lid was raised and a secret, kept for many generations, revealed! Curtains of shimmering light rose out of the box, expanding before their eyes. An image of an aged women appeared. Her skin was wrinkled and discoloured by the harsh weather, but she had young, sky blue eyes with a determined gaze. She spoke clearly, “Whoever opens this box, will become the Chosen One. The light you have unleashed embody the spirits of Aurora. It is your destiny to follow the Light, let the spirits of Aurora guide you and your people to a new land because only then, will you be able to find what you have been searching for.”
Iskra looked at Mama, her eyes glowing with excitement. “Has the time come?” inquired Iskra. Mama looked at Iskra’s excited face and smiled, “Yes and we are ready!”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!