Mars

I had no idea why, but two months ago I had a call from Prof. Meicneiz who studied astronomy.
“There’s a problem with Mars. For some reason, it’s moving towards Earth at least 100 miles per hour. Some helpers and I are working on a rocket to get us out of the atmosphere and push Mars back into place. If you would like to come, call me within an hour. If not, we’ll leave without you. One hour; that’s all.” Then he hung up. I felt stressed. Mars was moving towards us and could easily destroy all human population! I had to calm down. I made myself a cup of espresso coffee and thought about what the Professor had said. ‘One hour; that’s all.’ … ‘At least 100 miles per hour...’ I didn’t want to get involved, but I had the opportunity to go to space. I switched on the television and started thinking. There were positives and negatives for every side. I considered my options some more and made my decision.
Two weeks later the rocket was complete.
“This operation could take up to two days,” said Prof. Meicneiz. That made me feel queasy. The pilot pressed a few buttons and started the countdown.
“10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3…” I felt even more uneasy than before. I’ve made the wrong decision, I thought. Any moment now I’m going to throw up. “…2, 1, 0!” I felt myself ascending into the air. I started feeling sick. Prof Meicneiz noticed first.
“You’re pale,” he said. “You should have some rest.” I closed my eyes and fell asleep.
“Prepare for Hover-Mode.” I saw a huge red image in front of me. Mars. We made it.
“Finally awake, eh?” I turned. Prof Meicneiz walked towards me. “We’ve got a plan. When the building was in process, we inserted some lasers that are powerful enough to blast Mars back into place. Only one problem.” He paused.
“What?” I asked nervously.
“Who to send out.”
Unlucky me, I thought as I went out with the Professor.
“Speaker one to Speaker three. Order number six.” He started moving towards me. “Stand aside or you’ll get hurt.” I didn’t need any further advice. Emerging from our ship was a huge cannon-like machine. At the back sat a man, who was fiddling with some buttons. He was wearing a black gown that went from head to toe. The Professor handed me one too. “Put it on. Just in case.” Then he brought out a pistol and fired a green laser at Mars’ core. “Aim and fire when you’re ready, Fred,” called Prof. Meicneiz to Fred. Fred fired. A blue ball of electricity went through the tunnel that Prof. Meicneiz made. Five seconds later Mars was different colours. Pink. Blue. Green. Orange. Then back to normal. Mars retreated. We had saved the world.
Unfortunately my kids don’t believe me. Well, they will when I show them the photos I took under the gown.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!