I Just Couldn't Believe It!

An ordinary day, so it seemed. An average day, so I thought.

Sitting on a park bench staring through a window I saw a man with his finger in his teeth, who could use a little floss, right across the street. A writer, who had just written the best thing that he'd written all week. An ordinary day, so it seemed. An average day, so I thought. Slowly I regained my footing and stood up.

Walking down the street I came across a woman who really needed a jacket. She was looking pretty tired. She walked fourteen blocks to work at a shop where she was about to get fired.

I stopped and stared. As I did, my foot stood on a stick making it crackle under pressure. At the sound the woman lifted her head and stared as I did.

Soon she got up off of the cold wet ground and walked towards me. The only thing I did was stand in shock. By the time she had gotten to me, which seemed like a long time, I was still petrified.

She leaned over me and stared blankly. Then without warning the woman bent on her knees and begged, "Food, can u share? Money, can you spare?" She raised her hands and looked at the footpath below.

Still, I was scared out of my wits and didn't know what to do. So without thought I grabbed all of the change I had in my shallow pockets and placed it in her hands.

Less than three years had passed and all of the days seemed to be flat and plain.

Lying on the floor of my families four room house the doorbell rang. Only the doorbell didn't seem the same. It echoed in my head going over and over again fading slowly over time. We never receive visitors so it was not an ordinary day, as it seemed or average day, as I thought.

It had rung at least thrice when I decided to answer the door. As I walked down the narrow hallway to the front of the house I saw a tall figure through the lead-light glass. I opened the door when... I saw the woman who had been in the street a few years back.

I was speechless. That was convenient because before I could speak she held a big bag in front of my face. She said it contained over five hundred pounds and she also offered me and my family a great big house with over fifty rooms! I just couldn't believe it!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!