TAYLA'S STORY

As the waves washed up gently onto the sand I could feel the coldness surrounding my feet. A shiver ran up my spine, the remaining foot steps that had been left in the sand had washed away. All that was left was patches of soggy wet sand draining away into the ocean. Waves splashed gently in the light of the setting sun which cast a purple tinge over the evening sky. The air was thick with summer heat and seemed to linger around. I sat down softly on the wet cold sand and gazed meaningfully at the setting sun. As many thoughts chased themselves around my head I was yet to know who I really was. Ever since the accident my past is a blur. Who was I? The man and woman who were also in the car before it rolled over and exploded into flames were yet to wake up. Their was a great debate over the topic, “do we turn off their life support?” For neither had woken from a coma, which meant that they were not responding to treatment. The one question that would not leave my head was 'who are they?' I did not know their names, but I felt a deep connection with them the first time I saw them. But I have still been useless to the police. To them I am merely a broken tool . They told me that by their investigation my name is Brooke Summers, but to me that sounds unfamiliar, as though it wasn’t really my name at all. Though who was I to say any different? Who was I to question them?

The sun had now fully set and a small glitter of stars that were floating majestically littered the blackening sky, as though encrusted with jewels glistening on black velvet hanging overhead
A sudden beeping noise made its way out from my bag. I opened it and pulled out my mobile phone. It was the police. But why would they be calling me at this time?

“Brooke, we need you to come to the hospital. Don’t ask any questions. All will be explained, I promise.” said the deep slurring voice of sergeant Thompson.
“er ok, see you soon I guess…? I replied
I streaked down the streets of Eltham in the dim light cast by the full moon hovering above. I arrived at the hospital. There, a police officer took me into the room of the man and woman who were now awake. I was told to sit down and I obeyed obediently.

“Brooke first of all I would like to reintroduce you to your parents, Toni and Robert Poulton. I would also like to reintroduce you to yourself. Your real name is Tayla. You are with the witness protection agency. That is why we had trouble finding these things out.” The sergeant paused to let me take it in. Then my memory came back I remembered everything, everything was back to normal again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!