Sam The Cricket Master

Sam The Cricket Master

In N.S.W there lived a boy who was really good at cricket. His Mum and Dad didn’t.like cricket at all. One day Sam was walking through the park hitting his cricket ball but he hit it to another kid and the kid ran away with it. Sam chased him but the kid kept running. When he was walking home he found a newspaper. The headline said:

‘Don Bradman’s first test century’

It was about the famous cricket player Don Bradman.
Don Bradman? My name is Sam Bradman he thought, maybe that’s my grandfather. Sam went to his local library and asked the librarian if he could have all of their old newspapers about cricket. The librarian said in a deep voice ‘O.K’. Sam stayed at the library and looked through them, there was nothing interesting about Don Bradman. So Sam went racing home and asked his Mum and Dad if Don Bradman was his grandfather. They looked suspicious and said 'uuummmmmmmmmmm'
'NO!'they said.

The next day Sam was exploring in the attic of his house and he found a rusty cricket bat and the signature on it said ‘Don Bradman’. He also found an old chest and in it were some letters. He opened the first one and it said:
'Sam, if you ever find this, I am your grandfather. Your dad and mum never liked cricket so they might say that I am not your Grandad. If you find my bat please use it.'
from Don Bradman.

Sam said he is my grandad.
The next week Sam’s N.S.W. team was playing Queensland in cricket. He was 1st batsman and he was using his Grandad’s bat. The 1st ball swung at him, he got a 6 and he kept on hitting it and his tally was 4 6 4 6 4 6 4 6 4 6 4 6 4 6 4 6 4 6 4 6. He got his 1st 100 in the final.
The next morning, Sam’s Mum and Dad opened their local newspaper and read the headline.
‘Sam Bradman’s 1st one day Century!’

By, Ben Watts

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!