The Thylacine

1st in the 'Summertime Fun 2008/2009' competition

With a quick snap of its jaws the animal killed its prey. Feathers scattered as it then got a better grip and trotted off as if nothing had happened. A light mist clung to the top of the valley like a blanket as the Thylacine headed for home. Everything was normal, the light breeze lead the fallen leaves into an intricate dance in which the nearby kookaburras took part as the choir. The tall grass swayed while the many tiny dewdrops clung on for dear life. Suddenly, he felt something, his neck hairs prickled and he could feel the eyes of something boring into him. The Thylacine carried on pretending as if nothing had happened but changed his course slightly to a small copse of eucalyptus trees. As soon as the Thylacine was behind one of the largest trunks he stopped, raised his head and sniffed the air. Human was his only thought. Cautiously he edged out of the trees, like a lizard from under a rock, before sprinting. The Thylacine ran as fast as it could, so fast the stripes along his back seemed to join and become one amongst the swaying grass. He did not run fast enough however, to escape a bullet. There was an unnatural crack as the rifle was fired, echoing around the valley and scaring every bird in the area into the sky. There was a thud as the animal hit the ground, and then silence.
A female Thylacine lay anxiously at the mouth of a den dug into the side of a dried up creek bed. She had been waiting for a long time, too long. Her mate had not returned, and it was almost dark… the pups were hungry and nosed her belly but she ignored them. Her mate should have been back a long time ago and she was worried. Others of her kind had been disappearing rapidly since the full moon, many lights and darks ago. No longer did she occasionally meet others on the fringes of their territory and from time to time she would hear a sharp and agonizing crack far off in the distance.
She had heard one not so long ago.
So she was worried.
Many lights and darks past and still the Thylacine waited. Nothing could catch her mate she thought to herself. He was strong and swift and brave, nothing could keep up.
Until now.
The pups were getting very weak and soon she would have to replace him and take up the hunt but still she waited…
And waited…
And waited…
Until one misty morning, with a deep sadness in her heart she left the den and commenced the hunt.
Silence.
Peace….
Something was wrong.
No birds shrilling in the trees.
No rustling in the bushes.
Even the wind seemed to have dropped.
Something was definitely wrong.
The animal made its way through the disturbingly silent bush with as much apprehension as a little boy venturing into the darkest corner of a cave.
She was being watched.
She could tell.
There, the crack of a twig.
The animal spun around like lightning, teeth bared, shackles up and a fire in her belay only to be confronted with the silent bush. She continued on her way.
The wind changed.
Human…
The air was full of it.
As soon as the animal realised this, she bolted. Faster than a falcon in full dive, she ran. Shouts came from the entire surrounding bush. Triggers clicked and explosions seemed to rock the very earth around her. Boots pounded, but no one could catch her, not now not ever. Round a bush over a rock past that tree and… straight into the waiting arms of a net. The animal gave off a startled yelp as the net enveloped it. She thrashed and snarled and ripped away at the constraining bonds but for no use, she was caught. A man stepped over her. She imagined herself leaping up and sinking her yellow teeth into his soft and unprotected skin, but she could do nothing. Instead she had to content herself by softly growling and staring up at the man with pure hatred burning in her eyes. The man aimed a gun down and released the bullet downwards.
Darkness.
Death.
Extinction.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!