Wake Up Call

"Wake up Elizabeth! It's 5:10 already!" screamed the most annoying voice in history.

I stumbled out of bed and put on my ragged apron. After slipping into my shrunken boots, I hurried down the creaky stairs. Standing there with her hands on hips, was Miss Creachley. She was supposed to run the orphanage, but instead, leaves that job to me. I stopped on the last step above her. She handed a crinkled piece of paper towards me. I smoothed the page out with my hands.

"You are to go to the markets and buy everything I have listed. Be back in an hour. I will make sure you haven't bought any useless rubbish when you get back. Understand?" I quickly nodded and ran out the door.

As I approached the markets, I got out the list and read the things I had to buy: 10 tomatoes, 3 cabbages, 10 carrots and 15 apples. That was the first lot which was for us orphans.

After buying all that, I got out the list again. The next lot of food was usually for Miss Creachley. The winter fog was starting to build up and it was hard to read. I squinted to recognise the rough, writing. Suddenly, there was a loud screeching noise that made me turn around, but it was too late.

...........…..............................................................

I felt extremely comfortable. Was I dead? There was a clanking sound next to me. It didn’t sound very heavenly, but I knew I was safe. My eyelids felt heavy, but I managed to open them to a small crack. It was extremely bright; so bright that I shut my eyes again. I sensed someone in the room, so I decided to open my eyes again. My vision was more blurry than usual, but could make out the shape of a woman. Mindlessly, I asked her, “Where am I?”

She turned her head around , and walked towards me. She was a young woman; no more than ten years older than myself. Her soft blue eyes held looks of amazement in them, as if I was a newborn child.
“My dear, you are in Master Cornwell’s house.” she whispered.
I stared at her for almost a minute. I knew who he was. He was one of the most wealthy men in all of Britain! Suddenly, I remembered why I was here. Something happened, but I did not know what it was.
“What happened to me?” I wondered aloud.
“You were hit by Master Cornwell’s carriage. You were out for a week, but I’m afraid things aren’t going to well for you,” she replied with a sad tone.

I caught onto her words like a fly to a spider’s web.“Why not?”
“You suffer from an illness we cannot identify. The physician believes it was triggered due to exhaustion and lack of nutrition. I‘m afraid you don‘t have long to live” she solemnly answered.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!