Rabbit Proof Fence Rendition

Here I am sitting in the front of Moore River Settlement, whilst Mr. Neville is marking our attendance for the day. I am thrilled to know that we are getting 3 new girls to this boring dump. I wish I could escape from this place with my father Moodoo but they are persuading him to stay.

Anyway as I look up I saw Mr. Neville with the 3 girls, introducing them to us. I very discreetly heard Mr. Neville mention their names, but I wasn’t quite sure. All of a sudden here they are sitting right next to me. ‘Poor kids they must be frightened right out of their skin’. I started a brief conversation but all I got was some shrugs and Aboriginal spoken language. I understood it, but Mr. Neville just called it jabber.

When we were instructed to go back to our dorms and get ready for supper, the eldest girl comforted the youngest one. I knew exactly what they were going through, except I was on my own. I wanted to eat my supper in a hurry, as I was very hungry, so as I was walking out the dorm I yelled out “Hurry up if you want to get fed”.

As we walked toward the kitchen, I managed to get a few words out of them, like “We’re are we?” and “Who are you?” I answered but I don’t think they understood.
Once again dinner was awful. I would have rather eaten dirt than that ever again. “I need to escape, I can’t stand this anymore, for a little while, at least”.

So I did. At the crack of dawn I left to visit one of my old friends. You are probably wondering what happened. Well all I remember was someone grabbing me on a big, brown, horse.It was my father. He must’ve followed my tracks. So here I am locked up in the hut, being whipped every 10 minutes. I am feeling really claustrophobic and am missing my freedom.

The next day, the news had spread that the 3 new girls, Molly, Daisy and Gracie had left Moore River Settlement. One of my friends snuck in a newspaper, and on the first page it was all about Mr. Neville (a.k.a Mr. Devil) and how he is distraught.

It’s a shame that they are gone. Why couldn’t they have taken me with them?? Well, I just hope they are going to be ok. As for me things can’t get any worse!!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!