A Beautiful Rose

Walking down the streets of Manhattan with her arms full of shopping bags, Rose yelled into her cell phone. “No, I have to get the dress tonight! No is not an option!” Planning a wedding had certainly taken its toll on Rose, especially on her manners. She was flustered and stressed, worrying about every little detail that could possibly go wrong with her special day less than a month away.

Crossing the road became difficult as there was no brake in traffic and Rose began to get impatient as she waited on the curb along side two dozen or so commuters. “Come on, come on!” she whispered under her breath, tapping her feet with haste. Braving the speedy traffic she stepped off the curb, bags in hand and started to move towards the other side of the road. Suddenly a flash of yellow greeted her with an unkind crunch and Rose was sent sprawling along the road. The taxi driver immediately got out of his vehicle, rushing to Roses aid. Rose was lying on the road watching her beautiful new scarves came fluttering back down to earth, in a beautiful display of colors and grace. Shock was stopping Rose from feeling the pain, and then her world went black.

Rose woke, slowly and painfully remembering her accident. “Oh thank goodness!” Mike’s voice seemed shaky and filled with anxiety. “Rose, darling, I am so relieved!” He cried, tears swelling in his deep blue eyes. He explained everything that had happened to her. After the recollection of events Rose sat up, with a determined look on her face. “Rose? What is it?!” exclaimed Mike, worrying something may be wrong.
“Mike?”
“Yes Rose?”
“I still want to get married on the 15th.” She said closing her eyes. Mike was now sitting on her bed waiting for an explanation with a very puzzled look. “Not even a car accident will stop me from marrying you” She smiled a teasing smile.
“Rose….”
“Do this for me Mike,” Rose interrupted. “Please”

Recovery was expected to take more than six months but Rose insisted that she wanted to stand at the alter with Mike. Everyday Rose would endure hours of intense physiotherapy in order to prepare her for a day she had been dreaming about since she was a little girl. During a session her therapist once asked her “what is the rush was to get married?” and she replied “Love makes people do silly things.”

Mike smiled as Rose was escorted down the isle in an elegantly decorated wheel chair. Roses smile was wide as she met Mike at the alter.
“You look beautiful,” Mike said shyly. Rose stood, leaning heavily on him.
“Thank-you” she replied, as she handed him something.
“A scarf?” his smile showed a hint of bewilderment.
“Beauty and Grace” She laughed.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!