Versa Retreat

Here I stand behind enemy lines. So far I have infiltrated the malevolence company, the GAM Corporation. I successfully disguised myself as a fellow worker to access the front gate but I knew that my disguise wouldn’t work by the time I enter the large firm, they’ll recognize me. The company had heavily guarded security stretching all across the borders. I paced across the guards until I found a safe spot to take position, hoping they don’t realize my identity. I needed to be cautious and keep my guard up to prevent arousing suspicions. My true mission starts here.
I dashed behind the bushes located south of the main gate. I knew that the camera had blind spots in this area so I took base here. It wouldn’t be long until they notice I’m not an employee. I realized that the door entering the central building required a special card for the workers and that meant finding a different route in. Watching intensively and observing the industry environment I startled as my transmitter was beeping in my ear. I tweaked my left earring to adjust the signal and the static faded. “Unit x-2, can you read me?”
“Yes Major, I located the building in which the target stands.” I whispered into the microphone disguised as a silver ring. Kneeling in the hedging plant, I shift my eyes left and right for any guards.
“OK, don’t forget your mission, Operation ‘Versa Retreat’. Gather the vital information from the prime objective. He goes by the name of Lt. Falzon and...”
“Yes I know who Falzon is, he and I have personal matters to resolve. I’m gonna settle this with my famous back stab!” I cried infuriatingly, still whispering into the microphone with a vein throbbing in my fist.
“Don’t get so fired up! Remember that this isn’t an assassination; it’s to collect the vital Intel. Most importantly, DON’T let them find out you were ever there. As a spy, I expect no troubles stirring up. No evidence. No traces. Over! ”

Exasperated, I gave a defiant stare through the thick leaves of the bushes hoping to find a way in.
A glimpse of a shiny coin caught my eye as a lazy guard flipped it in the air. Couple of metres away, He swept his hand in the air to catch it but missed it and it started rolling in my direction. Anxious, I waited until he got up and decided to retreat the coin again. The coin silently swayed its course towards me and hit my shoe. Alarmed, my heart beat thumped rapidly. He got up slowly from his chair staring at the coin, sighed as he turned around and tiredly went inside the back door. I let out a sigh of relief and started to take action. I took off my worker clothes and reversed the clothing so it was black and wore it resembling a ninja. I took the coin and placed it in my pocket.
I found my way through the drop off lanes and leaped behind trucks and cars. Further down the east side, there was a security guard blocking the back door for exclusive members only. The Lieutenant would most likely take that entrance, with that thought; I surely feel I’m a step closer. The surveillance camera was cleverly attached to bin, two metres away from the door. I only noticed it because it emitted a frequent wave of signals since it was wireless. The gem in my ring acted as a radar and picked up any foreign signals. The guard, unlike the lenient lookout, was patrolling its assigned designation with authorization. I had to dismantle the cam before the guard catches me. I snuck behind the bin and hotwired the camera but the alerted guard was already inspecting the area and striding towards the sound I was creating. I swiftly ran behind the trees and rolled the coin in the other direction. The guard, with great awareness, then followed the rolling coin down the other side. The diversion worked smoothly and I quickly modified the camera and climbed through the window, which I hoped that was unlocked. Luck was on my side but I couldn’t rely on distractions or opportunity anymore. It was time to get serious.
Inside was vastly immense with machines running in order and computers working to full capacity. I received a call from the Major. “Unit x-2, I’m sending back up.”
“What? Why? Explain Major!”
“It appears that Lt. Falzon has spies as well.”
“He’s more clever than I thought, fighting fire with fire.”

The hallway led to some offices but its stillness in there made it difficult for me to decide how to approach each room without alerting employees. I sneakily used my shiny ring to reflect around corners as I hid in the shadows. My ally surprisingly followed me expertly into the room. It was Roxas, second in commanding and Gab, the cat. They explained how they got in and planned how to get Lt. Falzon’s information. We got Gab to run around until we were sure they weren’t spies in the area and head off to the Core Zone where the higher-ups worked. Gab meowed sniffing the air as she did so. “She’s onto something!” exclaimed Roxas. “Follow her!” Gab silently jumped through the window, ran into the court yard and ran behind the bushes then up a tree. Roxas and I took position behind a curtain and peeked through the window. We both gasped as we did so. Standing by the tree was Lt. Falzon. We both hastened our movements as we heard footsteps from the hallway. Roxas’s specialties were dealing with the other spies and sneak attacks. Roxas stayed back to set up a trap for them as I decided to jump through the window. She prepared smoke bombs and a fake time bomb and placed it by the door. When the spies entered the room, the ticking of the decoy made them freeze in their tracks. They had to send in the bomb squad. It was a great delay plan. The window was obscured by a large statue so they couldn’t see me. I leapt through the window and landed quietly on my tiptoes. Like a ninja I blurred into the darkness, away from the crowd. Running silently, I made it to the tree where Lt. Falzon was discussing matters with his colleague. Thrilled by the close accomplishment, I saw the memory chip sticking out from his pocket. The co-worker walked away and I realized it’s my chance to get it. I slid my hand from behind the tree. My fingers barely touching the memory bar. A moment in time froze as my fingertips brushed the end of it. My heart raced eccentrically.
Gab rustled on the branch above. My heart stopped thinking how dangerous it is to get caught now.
The leaf loosened from the branch and slowly weaved its way down. If it landed on his head, he would look up. I panicked. I tried blowing the leaf away but the wind rustled in his hair instead. He turned around to the source of the wind. He possibly saw a glimpse of my hair as I hid behind the tree. I side stepped to the opposite side as he was checking the whole area behind him. With this advantage, Gab lowered herself from the branch from behind, almost grasping the memory stick. I held my breath once more and with almost certainty that we were going to get caught, Gab stops midway. The loud, irritating bell rang loudly alerting all the other workers. Gab, stunned, falls from the tree and Roxas runs can catches her just in the nick of time. I gawk at our lost effort. Falzon turns around surprised to see the injured school girls hurt on the floor. Our mission to steal his homework failed. Roxas & Gab optimistically exclaimed “There’s always next recess!”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!