War

I’m face down in a trench, my eardrums are bursting from the sound of gunfire.
I’m scared now, my battalion wiped out, hunted down like a pack of rats.
I am not afraid to die but that doesn’t mean I want to.
Their coming now I can hear them getting closer, gunfire getting louder.
I want to run but my legs wont take me, I want to escape this cruel, dark hateful place.
A boot appears beside my head, I fear it’s the enemy, that this is the end, I close my eyes and wait…. No darkness no pain. I peer up slowly thinking he did not see me, I looked straight at the face and knew him instantly, one of us, I was thought I was saved that they had come back for me.
He reaches out for me with a look of sadness on his face, I take his hand but he does not stop until he’s fallen over me.
I look at him face down a red hole in the back of his head.
There here now I’m sure of it, a boot squelches above my head…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!