Tears That Never Fall

Imagine never feeling anything. Not feeling anger, fear, happiness or the heart stopping emotions when you’re in love. Amanda didn’t have to imagine, this was her reality. Ever since the day Amanda turned 13, she stopped feeling.
Not a tear was shed the day Amanda’s older brother Sam died. Not even a smile when her current boyfriend Alex bought her a puppy for Valentine’s Day.
Doctors couldn’t explain it. One day she was perfectly normal, laughing at her cat chasing its own tail, the next she couldn’t even manage a smile. Numerous tests were run, specialists from around the globe were flown in, yet nothing was concluded as to why this happened.
School became like a prison for Amanda. Students she once called friends, wouldn’t even look at her, to afraid to welcome something that wasn’t normal. The teachers however were more understanding and tried their best to help Amanda and her family through this horrific time.
Amanda’s parents spent thousands upon thousands looking for answers to explain what happened. Nothing did. As a result they ended up in great financial debt and lost their house. They were forced onto the streets cast as outsiders.
Just twelve months later the day of Amanda’s 14th birthday, she was sitting in the park with Alex (one of the few who remained close to Amanda over the year). When Alex handed her a small object wrapped in gold paper, a tear ran down her face.
Alex jumped to his feet and shouted, “Oh my god, Amanda you’re crying!”
A giant smile flashed across Amanda’s face, “I love you,” she cried.
Valerie, Amanda’s mother came sprinting across the park and wrapped her arms around Amanda. For three long minutes the stood in each other’s arms silently crying.
When Alex finally broke their hold, he said, “Maybe we should take Amanda to the hospital, make sure everything’s ok.”
“Oh, right. Of course,” Valerie said surprised.
Doctor after Doctor attended Amanda and found no evidence of what had caused many a great deal of sorrow. It could only be described as a miracle.
The following Monday, Amanda walked into her English class with a smile on her face that no one would attempt to wipe off. Her classmates turned, sensing an abnormality in the room to see Amanda laughing as she sat quickly at her assigned table. Those who had previously treated Amanda as an outsider ran up to her and cradled her in a group hug, all smiling with new bound happiness.
Amada’s English teacher Miss Roberts sighed, “How life works truly is peculiar.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!