Dan And Ally

She was nodding off, when he came and sat down next to her on the bench. Her head jerked up instantly, which brought a smile to his lips.
“Skipping class, are we?”
“I-I-I-I’m –” She cleared her throat and started again.
“Sorry, what did you say?” He said, teasing her.
“I’m not sleeping, you didn’t see me fall asleep, no, that wasn’t…” She mumbled.
“Oh no, I believe you. I mean, how could you be sitting out here while everyone is inside listening to the lecturer go on and on?” He smiled. She looked at her shoes.
“I’m Dan,” he said.

All was quiet but for a few leaves rustling.
He waited.

She sighed and extended her hand.
“I’m Ally, and I’m not skipping class,” she said with a firm nod.
“Oh? Then what brings us here, Ally?” A smile dancing on his face.
“I…” She trailed off.

“Okay, then. I’ll go first,” he said, as if this were a game.
“My girlfriend broke up with me.”
She looked up. And smiled.

“My story beats yours. My boyfriend broke up with me, so now I have nowhere to live. My parents are divorced and overseas. I just found out I have a long-lost brother, who apparently inherits everything even though I don’t even know him.” She paused for a breath. “And I was fired yesterday. Oh, one more thing, I have no money. At all. My parents already payed for college and my ex-boyfriend paid for everything else. So, I have nothing.” She sighed and stood up.
“I’m so sorry, Ally.” He said.
“Don’t be, this was going to happen someday.”
She sat back down.

“…I just wish it didn’t have to happen right now, when it’s the crucial moment in my life, the moment which decides my job, or if I have to study more…”
“Ally…”
“Sorry, do you mind?” She smiled and dipped her head.
Without waiting for his answer, she rested her head against his shoulder; a perfect fit.
“…No, not at all,” he whispered softly.

“Maybe this is fate, the way you and I bumped into each other, Ally. Maybe this was all meant to happen, Ally, what do you think?” He glanced down.
She had already fallen asleep. She looked so peaceful, so different from the busy and stressed Ally he had just met; a younger, innocent Ally. This is the life I’ve missed out on. He kissed her forehead and rested his head on hers.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!