A Case Of Mistaken Identity

I could see their faces peering at me, the remainder of a conversation still on their lips as they turned around, staring drop-jawed. The expression varied person to person. Some had the faint etch of a smile on their face, others rather the opposite. Some even had the gall to mouth something to their friends. But I could see why. My clean, crisp uniform stood out like a beacon among the faded garments. And these country kids hadn’t seen a new face for so long it was impossible to ignore it. It’s almost as if I was standing there shouting, “Hey, I’m the new kid. Look at me!”
It wouldn’t make any difference. I’d still get the same amount of attention.

I don’t like attention.

I would have liked to spend the day sitting away from everyone else. Maybe in the library. Nobody in a town like this would be caught dead anywhere near the place. I was surprised that they could even afford to pay the librarian. But I couldn’t disguise the fact that I couldn’t hold on for any longer. I really had no choice but to wander through the corridor, through the entire student population, in desperate hope that I could remember where the bathroom was.

I could see the door at the end of the corridor, clearly marked MEN. I couldn’t wait to finally get out of the public eye and almost found myself sprinting down the hallway, pushing past the crowd. But I didn’t want to cause a scene. I pushed open the door, and took a few steps into the bathroom, relieved to be away from the crowd. But there was just a small feeling at the back of my brain that something wasn’t right. The walls were certainly a funny colour for a men’s room. I mean, who in their right mind would paint the walls magenta? But I assumed it was just a country thing. And then I heard the screaming.

Three girls were standing at the mirrors, lipstick in hand. And they were staring at me. I automatically turned around and walked out of the room, thinking obviously I had opened the wrong door. But at a second glance at the sign on the door, I couldn’t see what my mistake was. MEN. Well whatever I’d done, people in the corridor were starting to look at me strangely.

I turned to walk away from the door. I’d obviously confused the door with another one. It wasn’t hard to do in a new place, also considering this was the only corridor in the school. But on the ground I spotted something. Two metal letters, lying on the cold linoleum.

W and O.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!