Farewell

I closed my eyes, tight. I tried desperately not to think about what had happened. I couldn’t bare it. He was gone. I froze. The coffin was just metres in front of me. The open lid seemed to be sucking me in. Deep breaths, I kept telling myself. My brain kept telling me to move closer. Step, breathe, step, breathe. I felt so far away, yet I was so close. All I had to do was lean over and peer in. It could be all over in seconds. I couldn’t. I ran.

* * * * *
She seemed to be getting further away but I could feel her. Her suffering, her pain, it was all my fault. I lay unable to move, breathe, speak. I was useless. The walls of the coffin seemed to be closing in. I knew I wouldn’t have much longer.

* * * * *
Tears streamed down my face. I knew I needed to go back. If I didn’t I would regret it… forever. I stood up, slowly. I flattened my dress and pushed my hair back behind my ears. I needed to stay in control. I walked back, to try again. I slipped in and out the people trying to remain unnoticed. I kneeled down next to him and let my eyes glide over to see his peaceful face.

* * * * *
She was looking at me. If only I could reach up and touch her soft, pale skin. I felt her squeeze my hand. It was excruciating knowing, I would never be with her again. The only comfort I could take was that she was mine, my granddaughter.

* * * * *
I ran my finger up his arm; I shivered and took out my hand. I felt stupid; I could feel eyes of the guests glaring at the back of my head. I didn’t care.
“Hey grandpa,” I sniffled, “it’s me… Summer.”

* * * * *
I knew she couldn’t hear me but that wouldn’t stop me so I answered her. My lips couldn’t move, but the words still had the power of a frothing wave.
“Hello, I can hear you and I just wish you could because…”

* * * * *
“I…”

* * * * *
“love…”

* * * * *
“you,”

* * * * *
I could see the light. It surrounded me, engulfed me and took me away. It was time.

* * * * *
“Goodbye grandpa, I will miss you forever,”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!