Samantha's Dreams

2nd in the 'World of Words 2009' competition

Sally was a sweet old nanna who lived in the countryside in a beautiful old farmhouse. Every school holidays Sally’s granddaughter, Samantha, came to visit. Samantha was different to Sally’s other grandchildren; she was very quiet and shy. She loved music and liked to dance but was never brave enough to dance when other people where around.

Samantha went upstairs to her room to unpack. She stared at the old blue cupboard and wondered why Sally always locked it. Samantha tried to open one of the doors; the door was locked. She was about to walk away when she saw something silver out of the corner of her eye, she looked at it closely, it was a key. She quickly picked it up and tried it in the lock of the cupboard. She tried the door again it swung open. There before her eyes were the most beautiful pair of red sparkly shoes she had ever seen. She picked the shoes up; “Who are you?” shouted the shoes. Samantha thought it was the shoes, but how could that be? Was someone else in the room? “Down here”, yelled the shoes.

Samantha dropped the box on the floor and stared at it in shock. “Hey, that hurt,” cried the shoes. This time Samantha knew it was the shoes because two blue eyes and a mouth appeared on the front of the shoes. “How are you doing that?” asked Samantha. “Haven’t you noticed I have a mouth too?” screamed the shoes in disgust. “Well yes, but you’re shoes,” said Samantha. “Are you going to put me on and see how special I really am?” asked the shoes.

Samantha put the shoes on but she didn’t feel any different. “Now dance,” whispered the shoes. As she started to dance she was filled with confidence and quickly ran down stairs to ask Sally about dancing lessons. “Of course,” said Sally surprised.

The next day Samantha was so excited she couldn’t wait to go to the dance lesson. When Samantha started the lesson she was amazed at how well she could dance in front of others. Samantha continued her lessons, each time wearing the magic shoes. A month after Samantha started her lessons a concert was due to be held at the local hall. Samantha was very nervous because she had to wear special pink jazz shoes and not the magic ones. The magic shoes told her she could dance no matter what.

When the announcer called her name for her solo she nervously walked out on to the stage. Her heart was beating as fast as a racing car. She looked over at the magic shoes who smiled at her encouragingly. Samantha started to dance and was surprised to see that she wasn’t scared at all. When she finished her dance she walked off the stage to a thunderous applause. She hugged the shoes and said “Thank you, I am never going to be scared of fulfilling my dreams anymore.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!