Yabbying

SPLASH! The net fell into the water as Sam chucked it into the fresh flowing water of the Burra Creek Gorge. Zac stared on in amazement of how far out Sam could get the Opera Net into the deep murky water. Zac found a rock and jumped across to the other side of the Gorge, missed the rock and clambered up the bank half drowned. Sam stood there, smiling with humour while counting the slimy fresh water yabbies in the old plastic bucket, under the old withered Blue Gum tree which was blooming with flowers. Zac jumped back and grabbed some dog biscuits, shoved them in the tube and screwed the lid on.

The sky turned a dark shade which was a relief from the heat. They both looked up and saw the almighty lightning, then the “BANG”! It rattled the stubborn ground for miles. The water in the stream was rising and they both sprinted for the nets either side of the slippery banks towing them out with their dry, cracked hands. “HELP!” yells Zac! Sam sprints across hurriedly and lunges himself into the debris filled water, trying to untangle the net out of the fallen Bottle Brush Tree while dodging floating obstacles in the water. Sam ascends to the surface gasping for air quickly while yelling “pull harder”. Zac raps the rope round his hand and pulls with a power rush. Then the net tears losing all of the 20 or so yabbies. They did not worry about the yabbies as they had to save themselves while they could from the pounding rain on their two & four wheeler motorbikes with the trailer. Sam was on the two wheeler with Zac on the four wheeler with the trailer.

They were racing down the old dirt road drifting around corners hoping that the river crossing ahead was not overflowing. Zac and Sam both went even faster through the water like pelicans ready to take off from a stream. The water was still rising and the rain was turning into hail. All of a sudden Sam started slowing down as the fuel was running out unexpectedly. He pulled up with a fueless bike, so they both heaved the bike on the trailer and took off sliding around the corner into the drive way. The noise was so incredible that they could not hear the screaming sound of the motorbike engine, for the marble size hail which was growing rapidly. Mud was flying in every direction as they were sliding across the driveway.
They started slowing down as they locked the brakes on and catapulted in to the workshop. The gutters were bending nearly parallel to the fascia. The tanks were just about ready to pop like a sardine can with the horrific noise. The roof was bending with the cricket ball size hail. The trees were being robbed of their leaves as they got battered and bruised. Everything silenced and the sun shone brightly in the blue sky. All that was left, was the aftermath of overflowing dams and fallen trees.
The work begins…….

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!