I Am Me

I used to be one of those girls that laughed at people because they were different. You know the people that have pimples, glasses, braces, red hair, weird noses; the list goes on and on. Basically I laughed at anyone that wasn’t as perfect as me.
Now, since a trip to the dentist, I know what it feels like. I realise that what I did was wrong in so many ways, not just wrong, but cruel too.
This is all because I realised that everyone is born different and that you shouldn’t pick on people for having the guts to be something out of the ordinary. The way I live now is so much better, not only because I actually live my life how I want, but because I don’t worry what other people think of me.
This is my story:
“Oh-my-god! Did you see Francine’s hair?!!”
“YES!! How gross is it?!”
“I know! Ewww and she has a brand new pimple too!”
“Gross! Ha-ha.”
This was a typical conversation between my BFFL Toni and I. We giggle, point, laugh and basically just pick on everyone.
That was up until a week ago, when I went to the dentist and they told me I needed braces. I had a total freak-out and locked myself in my room for the rest of the night.
The next morning, I woke up with a big zit on my forehead from the stress I’d been through the previous night. Another massive freak-out, followed by half of my make-up supplies, resulted in me begging mum to stay home forever. She said ‘no’ and I was forced to go to school.
When I walked through the front gate, my friends took one look at me and laughed. I had to admit, it hurt. A lot more than I thought it would.
After class Toni came up to me and apologized. I gave in to her pleading eyes and told her the horrible “braces” news.
I couldn’t believe it when she giggled and ran away. I’d thought we were friends, but obviously I was wrong.
When I faced my other ‘friends’ they laughed and pointed at me. It turns out Toni had told them all I was getting braces; this was officially the worst day of my life.
I ended up crying.
That was when Olivia found me.
She was one of the girls that I’d always picked on and I expected her to get me back, but she didn’t. Instead, she was so nice I cried even more. I couldn’t believe that, after all the horrible things I’d said about her, she was willing to be friends with me.
That was when I realised; it was ok to be different. I was sick of living up to other people’s expectations; it was hardly worth it anyway. I was sick of being told how to wear my hair and what to dress in.
I was who I was born to be and that was me.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!