Dark Distortion

The tall dark trees towered over the drive, creating midnight shadows in the dark misty night that enveloped me as I ran. My screams echoed off the darkness, piercing the unnaturally silenced forest. A hole in the road caught my foot. I hit the ground hard, scraping my hands. The clear snap of bone made my yelp hysterically in pain – my screams of terror forgotten in the dark – tears fogged my vision running ruthlessly down my face.
The break was only a toe or two, so I figured I could stand. Gingerly I got up from the gravel path, being very careful not to put too much pressure on my injured foot. This process took a few slow minutes. I didn’t realise that I was not alone.
Suddenly, a long rasping breath came from the thicket of trees on my left and my heart skipped a beat. Though it was not an unfriendly sound it brought forth cruel, disturbing images - memories. The ones I had been running from; the ones I was screaming at; the ones I need to scream at.
My breathing quickened and my uneven pulse began pounding in my ears. The minutes passed and my heartbeat returned to near normal. My breathing slowed and I burst into fits of giggles. I was hysterical.
A menacing growl sounded close on my heels, made my brain momentarily freeze, and the ground beneath me fell away. I lost my head for less than a second, but it was enough. I was fully awake. I had to be. Yet the dark was too light. The silence too loud. And I was alone again.
Moonlight broke through the thick cloud in thick streams, revealing a small sheltered bench, created by a fallen tree leaning against its sister. I quickly crept across the forest undergrowth and perched upon the edge of the tree. I wanted to rest, but I was afraid to close my eyes.
It was fear that brought me to this merciless place. For the first time in my life I was truly afraid, terrified, and of losing more than my life and sanity. As I sat, the battle of wits, will, power and determination to live, escalated into a full scale internal war.
Only a few metres from my hiding place, towards the forest, a terrified scream filled the air. But it was not mine. There was no fear in me; I didn’t even flinch at the unexpected sound. But the chainsaw roaring to life stopped my heart dead. The screams got closer and the chainsaw louder. Still, I was rooted to the tree.
I smiled when the chainsaw spluttered as it hit the lesser object. The screams died almost instantly, along with their maker. It was wrong, but all I could do.
My smile still didn’t fade when the cold, blood splattered face of the murderer found mine. The old bloodied chainsaw hanging freely at his side was insignificant.
I had not met my end.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!