Xanthe

Xanthe
By Taylah Golden. Pacific Lutheran College

My hands gripped the steering wheel so hard my veins showed. I swerved all over the dark road, as though I was avoiding cars that weren’t there. Despite the odd scene, I felt strangely relaxed.

I wasn’t sure why, exactly, because there aren’t so many reasons why a 12 year old should be speeding along a highway by himself, and still feel totally calm.

‘Maybe mum’s right’, I thought to myself. ‘Maybe I do have a slightly overactive imagination’. But I knew in my conscience it was not a dream. One look in the rear-view mirror was all it took to prove it - this was reality.

In the glass I could see the ferocious beast of a car leaping hungrily up the street, devouring the asphalt I left behind. The scent of burning rubber filled the air and flames licked at its wheels.

I knew why it followed me so possessively.

In my pocket lay one of the world’s rarest jewels, the Xanthe crystal. Beautiful, but shrouded in mystery and legend, it was said that whoever had rightful possession of the stone, shall have the power to defeat death, to outsmart bereavement itself.

The Xanthe had come into my possession when I found it amongst the rubble of the National Museum, after it burnt down two years ago. Admiring its beauty for I time, I had recently not given it much thought- until last week when the Cult of Sorcerers, that were now tailing me, heard I had it in my possession.

Since then, I have been trying to lead them astray, trying to keep the town safe. It hasn’t been so easy.

Luckily, the community came up with their own explanation for the freak storm that came so suddenly, and the odd disappearance of Mayor Quinton Brown. But freak events can’t always be explained so easily so I knew the calm would not last much longer. I had to lead them away. I would lure them to someplace where I could give them the crystal and hopefully prevent the destruction of my city.

I glance out the window to see a desolate landscape. I stop the car, and step out to face my pursuers. With shaking hands, I hurl the jewel towards their car, wishing I had never laid eyes on it.

A pair of glowing eyes rises to observe me, brimming with fulfilled desire as though some part of it was now complete.

I watch for a moment, and then I run, like I’ve never run before. Collapsing beneath a tree, my breathing is ragged but relieved.

The city is safe.

For now...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!