Jacques Sacrifice

Finalist in the 'World of Words 2009' competition

The opal twirled mid-air, catching and contorting the glow emanating from the chandeliers. As it began its journey to earth once again, the duke throwing it caught it. He was close to becoming yet another casualty in these troubled times. A figure slipped from the shadows and bowed deeply before the richly attired gentleman. "Something is on your mind," he observed as he rose. With his last breaths, the duke instructed his lifelong friend to take the opal and pay for his daughter's freedom.

It was 1789, the year of the French Revolution and change was everywhere. The people were uprising, burning stately homes and executing the royals. Well-off people were becoming paranoid, forever living in the shadow of their own fear. The dukes and duchesses were dying inevitable and merciless deaths.

Jacques Henry raced across the countryside in his sleek black carriage. Abruptly, the stagecoach veered and drew to a halt. Jacques thrust his head inquisitively out the door and the scene he saw unfolding before him gave him goose bumps. Three masked men sprung out from the edge of the rutted road, attacking his horses and driver. The assailants advanced gradually along towards Jacques' door. Whimpering with fright, Jacques burst through the door on the opposite side of the carriage. As he sprinted, he felt a stinging pain shoot up through his body. Looking down, he noticed with revulsion an arrow lodged in his left foot. Then all he knew was black.

When Jacques woke his head was pounding excruciatingly. As he took in his surroundings he raised one somnolent hand and felt in his pocket for the opal. Wearily he stood, knowing he would never complete his friend's dying wish. He trudged along the track forlornly.

Inadvertently, he reclaimed the opal as he was ambling along the roadway. A glimmer of light caught his eye and he reached down and grasped the lifeline. Then, he continued his trek, this time with a spring in his step.

When he arrived in Paris, he realised that the majority of the population was at an execution in the city centre, with Marie the highlight of the primitive gathering. Jacques ran fleet on his feet, towards the bloodcurdling screams he could only hope weren't Marie's. As he reached the bloodthirsty congregation, he sought out the head of the cluster of army delegates obviously running the massacre. When Jacques reached them, he breathlessly explained and pressed the opal into the captain's hands. Yet after his long taxing journey, the man shook his head and refused the release of Marie's life for the opal.

"It seems I have no other option but to offer myself in return for Marie's freedom. So, take me and free the girl," Jacques exclaimed gallantly. The captain nodded his consent and the soldiers seized Jacques. The cry went up, "Release the girl!" Marie was ushered through the crowd by a group of soldiers and then she was free. Free to roam, free to love, free to live.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!