Osiris's Lost Tomb

Finalist in the 'World of Words 2009' competition

I trudged through the hot, dry sand dune, swatting at large, red flies, which swarmed ceaselessly around my face.
“Come on Holly!” calls mum excitedly. Mum’s an archaeologist and is thrilled that I wanted to join her in Egypt for her work. She’s searching for the lost tomb of Osiris.
I finally reached the top of the dune and looked down with wonder at the numerous, huge pyramids sprawled in the sand below us. We marched through the first shadowy passage into the first pyramid. Little did I know what awaited us.

I tiptoed ahead of my mother in the dim, eerie light cast by the flickering torch she carried. We had been walking through this dark, slimy tunnel for 15 minutes and I was already worried about getting lost. Was just about to voice those worries to my mother when the dusty ground collapsed beneath me. I let out a piercing scream, which echoed around with a heavy, tooth-jarring THUD! I whimpered in pain. The dust settled and I realised where I was. We had found the lost tomb of Osiris. Heaps of gold, silver and precious gems glittered around the rocky walls. And there, an inch from my face was a massive golden sarcophagus. I screeched and slid backwards on my backside. As I watched, entranced with horror, it rose, shaking into the air. Silently the heavy door swung open, revealing another glistening coffin. Five most doors swung silently open. My eyes widened in fear as a mummified leg reached out, climbing out of the sarcophagus. Suddenly I became aware of my mother screaming my name, offering me her arms to climb up. I sprang into the air and she grasped my arms, swinging me to safety My mother and I raced through empty passage after empty passage, shouting hoarsely for help all the while. We rounded a corner and gasped. It was a dead end. We swung around to face the mummy slowly tottering towards us. There was no hope of escape.

We cowered against the wall in fear.
“And cut!” a voice yelled. I blinked, as suddenly the hallway was flooded with bright, white light. The mummy wrenched a mask off his face and grinned. My mother turned towards me, smiling.
“It’s for a movie, dear!” she chuckled, in answer to my bewildered expression. “You always said you wanted to be an actress!”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!