Mad Mailman

It was an incredibly exhausting afternoon for the entire hockey team, the sun shining down was very hot. Finally the coach blew the whistle for the end of training, two friends, Libby and Grace who were both in year 6 raced for their bags, they had been training in the heat for two hours straight and they couldn’t wait to walk home to Libby’s house.
The girls slowly walked to Libby’s house.
“Remember when Jane chucked that huge fit?” said Libby.
“Yeah, that was hilarious,” replied Grace giggling.
They continued walking and chatting until suddenly they heard a faint buzzing sound, it wasn’t a car not a motorbike. Libby had heard the sound before, suddenly she knew what it was, it was her, ‘MAD MAILMAN’.
The girls looked at each other with wide eyes, as a small, bright orange flag rose from behind a hill. It was attached to the mail man’s gofer. Libby and Grace started walking faster and without thinking Grace dropped her hockey ball. As the old mailman approached the place where Grace had dropped her hockey ball, he picked it up and decided that he would return it.
The old mailman picked up speed to 11km per hour; it was the fastest he had ever gone. The girls saw him and started running, they didn’t want to get run over by his gofer. They finally reached Viva Street; Libby’s house was on this street. As they were running Libby tripped over, Grace had to stop and help her get up, but it was too late, the mailman reached them.
“Please don’t run us over,” begged Libby scared.
“Run ya over, I was just returning ya ball,” grunted the mailman, as he handed over Grace’s hockey ball.
“Sorry for running from you,” apologised Libby.
“And thanks for returning my ball,” said Grace.
With that, the mailman turned his gofer around and headed back to his paper round. The girls turned around and continued walking home.
When they finally reached Libby’s house, Libby’s mum had cooked piklets. The girls slumped down onto the couch.
“So why are you so late?” asked Libby’s mum.
“Well it’s a long story mum,” said Libby.
“Yeah,” agreed Grace.
Later on Grace’s mum came and picked up Grace. Libby waved goodbye. That night when she lay in bed, she thought maybe her mailman wasn’t so bad after all, he did return Grace’s hockey ball, he was still freaky but he did have a heart.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!