A Broken Arrow

A broken arrow, finally the battle is over as rain fell and darkness consumed the once happy and cheerful land. People wept, children cried as once again blood has been spilt. For 3 generations this land has been tormented by the evil warlord Eorrock.

Our army fought bravely, led by a brave and courageous captain. At the moment the battle was lost and the army retreated, this man fought on, but was overwhelmed by the enemy. No one has seen him since, I knew this man, he was my father.

Years later, I am excited and a little scared. Word has spread that the King has assembling an army to march on the enemy to reclaim our kingdom, and I intend to be part of that army.

I know what your thinking… how could a girl aged 14 train herself in the skills of a knight, perhaps it runs in the family.

I was only 8 years old when my dad did not come home, but from that moment I swore revenge on his killers. I have been secretly trained by an old friend of my fathers.

I have joined the march, no one knows that I am a teenage girl beneath my armour as we trampled on and on to reach the stronghold of the enemy, a fortress set deep in the core of Mount Dread.

Soon the battle began, and we fought our way into the fortress. I found myself in a part of the fortress wih many prison cells. The prisoners were living in horrible conditions, so I began to release them.

The sight of one prisoner made me catch my breath, thin, bearded and in ragged clothing, his eyes burned with a fire that I recognised, it was my father.

Time stood still, I wanted to rush to him but I was still in battle and he did not recognise me.

As I watched him I was knocked down from behind, I turned to look at my attacker and was shocked to see it was the Warlord himself.

I reached for my sword but could not find it. I felt around and my fingers fell upon something… it was a broken arrow, then I saw a piece of the warlords armour was missing so I plunged the arrow head into his leg and he fell, screaming in pain.

It was amazing, we had captured the warlord and his army had fallen.

I took off my helmet and rushed to my dad.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!