Questions

“So how did this is all start?” the boy asked tentatively. She was temperamental at the best of times, and questions really set her off.
“Questions, questions, questions. You’re always asking questions! When will you learn to be silent?” she sighed exasperatedly. It was the same thing every time. How this, how that. As she took a breath to continue, the boy looked up eagerly: he knew he was in for a tale. She was like a dog in some ways, or maybe just one; she was all bark and no bite. Thankfully.
“It began about 20 years ago.” She paused, anticipating another question.
“20 years? That means that it began before I did, doesn’t it?”
“Yes. Can I continue?” He nodded eagerly.
“Well, I was just a little girl, about your age when I ran away from home. I had decided that enough was enough; I wanted to go my own way. So I left to find the dancers so that I could join them.”
“Did you find them? What was it like being a dancer?” His questions were endless, but she enjoyed the attention.
“I found them. All I had to do was follow the signs that were everywhere. And the dancing was wonderful. The ladies there were so kind; they let me join in for free and looked after me. For about a day.”
“A day?! That’s all?” He sounded so disappointed she had to smile.
“That’s all. You see, my parents went looking for me. They knew me so well they just walked straight to the dance hall. I was horrified to see them, I liked my new life. I hid behind the ladies as my father explained everything. When he told me I had to go home, I began to cry, it was so unfair.” Smiling wistfully at the memory she paused letting suspense build up.
“And? Then what happened?”
“The ladies saw me crying and they tried to comfort me, but nothing they said helped. So they looked my father in the eye and asked him if I might take lessons with them. I was so shocked by the idea I might still get to dance I stopped crying. And even better was the answer I heard in response.”
“He said yes?”
“He did. I ran up to him then and flung my arms around him. Laughing softly he said to me ‘You could’ve just asked us you know,’ and picked me up. He wiped the tears from my eyes and turned to the ladies, thanking them for looking after me. My mother then began to organise my lessons, and the next day I began. They came to watch me dance every week and I’ve never stopped coming here.”
“Wow! So all you had to do was run away?”
“No, but that’s what I thought. All I needed to do was ask.”
“Then can I ask you something?”
Suppressing a smile she answered him. “Of course you can. What is it?”

“Well, I was wondering…”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!