An Unforgettable Experience

As I gazed into the dying rays of the sun as it slowy melted into the horizon,the effect was quite magical but I was not taken away by it.The horror of what what happened still weighted quite heavilly in my mind though his parents had already forgiven me.
Although it had already been one week since the incident had happened , I could still remember it as if it happened yesterday.
On a chilly winter night,I and my best friend Sarel Steinauer were driving on a freeway that was covered in a thin plane of ice. To make matters worse I was drunk . Sarel had warned me not to drink too much but as usual I ingnored his warning if I ever heard it over the racket of the nightclub that we had just been attending.
As I was driving, the beer started to take effect, somehow I reasited the dizzness effects until we were about halfway home.
As I was halfway in a sharp right turn just about to exit the freeway, I saw a flash of light streak past my left eye.Seconds later,there was a defening explosion.
The darkness seemed to recede as I slowly regained concusness.Suddenly there was a roaring fire and I imidiately unbuckled my seat belt, wanting to get out as soon as possible.
Somehow I got out the car and it was then that it hit me with a thrill of horror, Sarel was gone.
In fact it took me nearly ten minutes to find him. He had been catapluted nearly fifteen feet from where the car was. As I stood by his side , I realized that his injuries were far worse than my own. I also knew and I knew that he knew as well that he wasn't going to make it. Even if medical help could arrive it was far too late, he would be dead before he reached the hospital.
"Nicholas, tell my parents that I love them and my sister too. And one last thing, if you ever get the chance tell her everything that I told you on that day" Sarel said with his last breath.
"I will" I promised him, holding back tears.
"Goodbye Nicholas" and with those last words, he died.
I wasn't sure what happened next because I had blissfully passed out.
Sarel's funeral was a grand one even by the standerds of kings. His parents and not only them but a great deal of his classmates cried as his coffin was lowered into the ground to be entombed forever beneth the earth. As the funeral came to a close his , I left unable to take anymore.
Although he is dead, Sarel's memory will forever live on in our hearts.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!