Cactus Attack

Breathing deeply and in desperate need of a drink, Sarah grovelled on her hands and knees trying to find some shade. She needed to live long enough to make it to a safe village and deliver the small grubby parcel hidden in her pocket. She had no food or water and only a sleeveless shirt to protect her from the scorching sun. Crunch! Crunch! Sarah could hear the thin dry rocks crunching under her feet as she struggled to an upward position. In a last desperate attempt to save herself Sarah started moving again with that same single question playing over and over in her head. Was she going to make it to the next village alive?

The sun was slowly setting over the horizon. Sarah shivered as a gust of wind blew. She could taste dirt in her mouth; it tasted disgusting but the wind felt refreshing. Taking another painful deep breath, Sarah pushed on. The landscape was bare except for exceptionally tall cacti growing here and there on this horribly dry land. How could anything grow from dust and no water? Sarah’s vision started to blur.

“Just one more step” – Sarah urged herself. “Just one more”. Thirst would have to be a terrible way to die, she thought. She could not swallow anymore and her tongue felt as if it was made from wood. Weird visions swam before her. She could see waterfalls and water gushing all around her.
“Just one more step”…Then, it happened. Sarah saw a cactus move. And again, another cactus moved. And another. Sarah was frozen to the spot despite the heat. Suddenly, cactuses started popping up everywhere, Sarah was trapped.

As the cactus figures moved forward, Sarah closed her eyes and fell to her knees. She knew this was the last breath she would ever take.
“Cut!” –The director’s voice boomed and everyone came rushing onto the set.
Sarah opened her eyes and jumped to her feet.
“How was that?” She asked the director
“Perfect, it’s a rap, it couldn’t get any better!” replied the director. “How about a refreshing glass of water, Sarah?”


By Zoe Thompson







FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!