Fairy Tale



I can hear dripping. Each drop sounds like a bomb, echoing across the room. I try to get rid of the loud noise, putting a pillow over my head. Yet the sound is still there.
I look out the window, seeing shops, rest – rooms and a plain rusty sign that said Girl’s Orphanage.
I am Ellie Smith. My parents dropped me at a nice orphanage called Happy Li’l Cottage (HLC) when I was 8.
I was taken care by a lovely lady called Cathy. I loved her and HLC. I was there until I was 10. Then suddenly the place got ruined, the carers lost their jobs. And what happened to us kids? Well, we all were taken to different orphanages. I came to this dump. My back is sore from the mattress; my neck hurts because of the bad pillow and my stomach is empty. Soon, we will we woken up to eat a thin slice of toast and half a glass of milk.
I go up and have a drink. I feel sleepy and I think of delicious food, warm clothes, and comfy beds…
“WAKE UP LAZY GIRLS!!!!!!!!” A screech fills the room, from Miss Hartley.
“GET UP YOU! LAZY THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
“WE ARE NOT LAZYYYYY!!” Moans Katie, who always moans.
“GET
UP.”
I couldn’t stand this. I want to find Cathy. I want her to adopt me.
With that, I grab my old bag and shove some things in there, climb out of the window and run in full speed.
I reach somewhere dark and I couldn’t run anymore. I had heard some police sirens here and there, but I am pretty sure they wont be here.
I have a stitch. I very badly need a drink. People were asleep, but I need a place to rest. I knock on the best house I saw and guess who came out?
Cathy.
“Honey! What are doing here! You will be trouble!”
“I hate that dump Cathy! Please adopt me! I can’t stand another day there, waking us up at midnight, giving us hardly anything to eat and yelling at us, calling us lazy and idiots.”
“I will adopt you. I got another good job, and a get paid more than I expected. Look, lets go back.”
When we got there, there were three or four police cars, a group of policemen and women standing around a very nervous looking Miss Hartley.
“I don’t know sir, one minute she was there and then all I see is that her bag and some of things are gone and the window was open! Wait! There she is! Ellie! Why did you run away?”
“Hello Miss H, I am getting adopted.”
There have been some kids who got adopted. Usually Miss H is happy, but when I said I was getting adopted,, she did a really strange thing.
She fainted.
Why did she faint? I don’t know. And I didn’t care.
Like in a fairytale.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!