Pancake And Jane

Pancake met Jane outside of a train station. Jane had just come into the city on the 2:30 pm Manchester to Macclesfield train; and the journey itself took less than half an hour. Pancake was playing the acoustic guitar; quietly and calmly and peering up through his mass of burgundy hair at the chaplinesque girl who wore a rainbow dress and clutched a tattered copy of Ovid’s Metamorphosis tightly to her chest. She was perhaps the strangest thing that he had seen outside of Chiswick. It was a long day in July, as far as long days go; and it was quite hot; but only out in the sun and after 11:00 am. Pancake knew that come afternoon his coffee craving would set in. That’s what he thought- medium roasted coffee tasted like heaven; whilst de-caffeinated coffee was sin and dark roasted tasted better that light roasted; and cappuccinos were better than lattes. He thought this through whilst watching the beautiful girl appear aloof. Well, two could possibly play at that game. When she asked him his name, he answered “Albert”. Jane nodded and asked him for a pound. £1 was all she needed. Slightly hot, craving coffee and in dire need to clean his pince-nez; Pancake and Jane walked to a coffee shop where Jane asked Pancake to teach her how to play guitar. Pancake knew he wouldn’t be able to teach her much but he said “Yes” anyway. Jane taught Pancake how to photograph wild geese. Wednesdays were always enjoyable because they walked along Priory Road singing ‘Hey Jude’ and eating caramel apples. Pancake learnt how to change a light bulb. Jane knew the quick step and offered to teach him. She could also paint with watercolours; with Pancake admiring her enthusiasm for all it was worth. Pancake inspired her by posing like an Adonis, or a broken clock. They both watched the sunset from Pancake’s back patio. They had a nice view if they both perched on the stairs. The patio was where they practised their music. Jane taught Pancake how to wear mascara. That way his parents wouldn’t see what they were doing. They sat around for hours and discussed some answers to their questions- who are they and why are they here and how Life was a biscuit. They also decided that since they’ll never know why they were alive they would just find their purpose in life and stick to it; whether it was music or writing or if they were going to be coffee connoisseurs. Pancake played the xylophone for Jane as she drank Red Indian tea. Jane didn’t like coffee, but Pancake liked coffee. It was one of those serendipitous moments in life when you realise that you don’t know the people you know as well as you thought you knew them. Pancake asked Jane if she would like to play chess. Jane said “Yes” as long as she could play the black pieces. After a long day, they declared a stalemate.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!