Canopy Of Darkness

My heart was beating rapidly; I could feel my blood pumping through my veins. Running as fast and hard as my legs would allow, I stopped in a sudden halt. Was he still there? Following my every step? My every motion in this dark place?
I looked to the green canopy above me; the light whistle of the wind was cold as it kissed my cheeks. My hair blew around my face as I started to run once again.
I tuned my head, searching, seeing past the trees, through the dark snake like vines. I saw him. His eyes focused, ready for the kill. I turned suddenly and ran for my life. I could hear his steps close behind, his hard shallow breathes coming towards me. I motioned for my legs to go faster, harder than ever before.
My eyes were watering, the cold air licking the tears from my face. Although my vision was blurred, I focused on a clearing in front of me. The moonlight was shining on a building, familiar to me in some way. The clearing was small, but it enlarged as I closed the distance between us.
I tripped and my legs failed, my hands were stained with dirt and my knees with blood. I pushed myself onto my feet, hidden behind a tree. I leaned my head against the hard bark, wooden crumbles knotted in my hair. I peeked around the corner, and searched the dark scene; he was nowhere to be found. I turned swiftly and ran towards the faint light.
I reached the destination; the moonlight was shining on my slick black hair. A tall building sat in front of me, still, with no life. A school building. Without the joy and happiness from the children, the walls looked dull, colourless. But this depressing haven was my only escape.
I looked to the gates and focused on a bulky lock, it was unlocked. I ran at full speed, my hair falling to my back. I reached the tall steel gates, careful as I unlatched the lock from the heavy metal chains, looking for a sign of life at the edge of the dark enclosure behind me.
The gates were heavy, I used all my strength to push them a small distance. I stopped for a second, searching for a solution to get the gates to move any further. A rustle echoed out of the place I’d once been. I looked behind me, my short breaths loud and clear; he was there, staring at me, ready for me.
His boots crackled on the dirt as his tall dark figure descended towards me, his bright blue eyes were visible in the limited light. He stopped; a meter away from me, his voice was deep and very familiar, a bloodcurdling smile licked his lips.
“Hello, Astley,” my name sounded like a menacing curse coming from his lips.
I clutched a handgun as I greeted him.
“Hello father,” one tear fell, as I pulled the trigger.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!