Getting Even

The day my parents died was the day I woke up. To reality. To really see the world for what it truly is. An unnecessary role coaster of events. You wish it was a dream, you wish you could just go away and live your fairy-tale. But fairy tales don’t exist. There is no future. You can’t plan ahead because you might not get tomorrow. You’ve just got to live everyday one by one to the fullest. That’s what my parents did anyway.
I was eight when it happened. I remember this day very clearly almost as if it happened an hour ago or something. August eleventh 1993. It was a bitter, cold night and my father, mother and I were watching television by the scorching, crackling fireplace of ours. My dad’s last happy words as I remember were “He’s a legend” praising a footballer who dodged so many players and easily made a try. Then out of nowhere, six people dressed all in black jumped through the window causing the glass to shatter all over my mother’s porcelain skin as she was sitting closest to the window. My dad jumped to his feet the same time as a man drew a gun to his head instructing him to do as he says or else he will kill the rest of his family. I screamed and I remember feeling helpless as one other man grabbed me tight from behind, covering my mouth. My mum, held tight by two other men tried to comfort me telling me that it was going to be okay. The action on the television was almost non-existent compared to the action happening in real life. Tears streamed down my face and I felt like I couldn’t breathe. Suddenly I felt the heat from the fire making me sweat as I struggled in the man’s arms. The man holding a gun to my dad’s head seemed to be the leader. You could tell by the body language and he was usually the one barking orders. His voice sounded familiar. You wonder to yourself ‘What could someone possibly have against a family who is innocent, friendly and compassionate?’ we follow the law, the ten commandments yet bad things still tend to happen to good people. The leader said “Give me the passcode to Audis administrator. I want every username, every password and every detail about the network. Also the locker combination to your safe. If you don’t follow my instructions I swear to God I will make your last few minutes of life hell. I’ll force you to witness the murder of your beautiful wife and kid. You choose John. It’s their lives over yours. Don’t make the wrong decision”. John Winsly is my father’s name and Audis is the taxation department- a business that my family owned. Audis like any other taxation department is very wealthy hence why this man wanted it. I didn’t really understand it when I was younger but here I am eighteen years of age, sitting on my own, new apartment balcony allowing memories to fill in the loneliness. After that my dad replied “Yes fine I will do whatever you need, just as long as you spare my girls’ lives.”
“You have my word” assured the man and the rest of the crew nodded. So my dad led the way into his office where he worked from home. He wrote down all the information the man needed to know while the three men stayed behind and kept guard of my mother and I. They sat us down on our dining chairs circling around us. Mum grabbed hold of my hand and squeezed it. She was trying to be strong for my sake but I know she was breaking down inside. A tear couldn’t help escape her eye. A few long minutes later, from the other room we heard an argument break out my dad raising his voice. “No No No please!” poor, helpless dad begging. My mum (Dianna Winsly) seemed to expect what was going to happen next and winced. My heart rate sped up. I’ve never been so nervous before. BAM! A gun shot echoed throughout the house. Then silence, defending us. My mum screamed and jumped up from her seat trying to run to the office. She was held down by two men and I was pinned down to my seat by one man. Their strength made us feel like we were paralysed. The three other men returned to the room.
“HOW COULD YOU?! YOU GOT WHAT YOU WANT NOW GO! LEAVE US ALONE, PLEASE KEEP MY DAUGHTER SAFE”. Cried mum. I was in shock to have a reaction.
“Dianna I wish it were that easy. I really do. We can’t let you get away you’ll go straight to the police don’t you see? Give us some credit, we’re smarter than you think. What? You thought we were going to come here, get what we want and leave just because you asked us too? Don’t work like that darl”. Laughed the leader.
“What did you call me? Oh my God wait a sec, I know who you are you’re-“ my mum gasped. Interrupted by the man.
“KILL HER NOW SHE KNOWS TOO MUCH!” then without any hesitation my mum received a bullet in her head. Her blood squirted on my face because I was sitting so close. My heart stopped, my world span out of control. I was feeling faint and nauseated.
“MUMMY!” I screamed and cried. No one stopped me as I reached out and hugged her trying to shake her back to life.
“What do we do with the kid?” one of the men asked. The leader answered “I made a promise to John if he handed over the company I’d spare their lives. I couldn’t spare Dianna’s because she’d be a huge obstacle to our plan and she knows too much. But the child can still remain alive, she’s too young to understand. Besides, in the next few years she won’t even remember this conversation. Pick her up, put her in the back of the car, I’ll take her some place safe for the night”. And with that, I was picked up using one arm. I didn’t really fight it, I was numb. I wish I had died with my parents. No one until this day, understands what I went through. My whole world shattered right before my very eyes. What was I supposed to do? I didn’t know who to turn to, where to start. From memory of the man speaking he was afraid for my mum to go to the police. Therefore, I would go to the police and tell them what happened. Unfortunately, I was so young that no one took me seriously; believing I was just a twisted girl with a wild imagination. God knows where he was going to take me. Surely far away from a police station and somewhere remote with no reception. I read it all before in books. I was eight but my English teacher gave me complicated books because I was so advanced. I was placed gently in the back seat of a fairly large car. I couldn’t tell what colour it was due to the darkness of the night. The car smelt heavily of cigarettes. I slumped forward my head in my hands. A man put a jacket over my shoulders. One of mine. I could tell by the fragrance. This didn’t make sense! Why would these criminals care about me? Taking me somewhere safe for the night? Making sure I keep warm?
The car ride went for about half an hour or so in streets with no street lights. He took me to an orphanage explained to an employee that my parents had just died. He did take off his mask but covered his face from me with a hoodie and sun glasses. The woman quickly welcomed me in and through a window I saw the car speed off into the moonlight with the number plate BOR 738.
A week later I was adopted by a friendly couple who claimed they knew my parents. They took care of me until I was seventeen when I ran away from home. I left a note stating that I have to move on, start fresh and I got a new job. I mentioned I was sorry and that I will still call regularly.
The doorbell buzzed me back to reality. I walk over to the door and open it.
“Hey Emma!” it’s Regina, my best friend that I moved in with when I ran away from home.
“What are you doing here?” I ask.
“I’m sorry did I interrupt something? Emma you’re usually happy to see me…” She walks inside looking around. “Nice place.”
“No, I’m sorry I shouldn’t have greeted you like that. I was just in the middle of thinking…”
“Oh no sweetie what happened was a very long time ago. I know you can’t get over it but-“
“I’m just mad. So mad at myself until this very day I haven’t done anything to help my parents”. I sigh closing the door. We take a seat on my couch.
“Well don’t get mad, get even. Come on, I’ll take you to the police station now, you remember that dude’s number plate right? I know you don’t want to turn to the police but let’s face it, you’ll never find out who it was on your own. This is your first day of freedom. Happy birthday. Even when you were living at my place the orphanage still checked up on you so you were hesitant to go to the police. Now is the day no one can tell you what to do. You’re eighteen an adult, I can help you. So can they. Let’s go”.
Okay, she convinced me. I am out to get revenge.
So we show up at the police station and speak to an officer. I tell him my whole life story. We’ve been talking for an hour now, he’s looking bored or tired I can’t tell the difference.
“Look lady I’d love to help you but you don’t have any valid information for me to follow up on…” He explains.
“Oh but I do. A number plate. BOR 738 was the car I rode in. Please I know you remember my family. They were constantly mentioned in the paper. Owners of the taxation department? Actually who is the owner now?” I ask suddenly suspicious. This could be the answer to everything.
“A man named Dick Westly. Let me go type in the number plate, see if after all these years it’s still registered”. He exits the room. Disappointment. I have no idea who Dick Westly is nor why he’d do such a thing. Regina sees the disappointment in my face.
“Don’t lose heart Emma, don’t give up. I will always be here for you.” She reassures me.
“Thanks” I say and squeeze her hand. The officer walks back in causing a breeze.
“Lucky for you, the plate is still registered. Under the same name. Dick Westly. We will look into it for you. Leave your number I will contact you whenever I have information.”
“No” I protest “Thanks but I really need to deal with this on my own. I’d like to remain anonymous as well if you don’t mind. Could you give me the man’s number?” I ask fluttering my eyelashes.
“Sure thing, only because his number is public. If it was a private residence you wouldn’t be accessing this information just so you know. Are you sure you don’t want our assistance?” He asks.
“Positive” I smile. The officer types away on his computer no doubt searching up Dick Westly. He writes down the digits on a post it note and hands it to me. “Good luck with that”
“Thanks so much. I will be back if needed.” I shake the man’s hand and walk out with Regina.
“Follow me” I instruct her. We walk across the road to a pay phone. I drop in some coins and dial Dick’s number. He answers.
“Hi, a little birdie told me that you’re the best with saving money. I’m in a crisis and need your expertise. We’re talking millions. I need your help as soon as possible when do you suggest we meet? I will make it worth your while trust me.” I put on a professional voice. I hope that was enough for me to get him where I want him.
“It’s true what they say I am the best, definitely the man you’re looking for. Shall we say twelve noon tomorrow? In my office. Looking forward to doing business with you.” And the line hung up. I turn to look at Regina a smirk on my face.
The next day quickly approached and I am now in the building alone. I assured Regina I’d be okay by myself. This is it. I’m going to confront the man of my nightmares. I brought my gun with me on the inside of my coat. I don’t know what to expect therefore, I must be aware of my safety and have protection. I walk towards the front desk knowing perfectly well who I want to see with an air full of confidence.
“Can I help you?” Asks the lady. She’s middle aged, brunette like myself, although she looks shorter than me.
“Yes I’m looking for Mr Westly’s office.”
“Have an appointment?” She asks.
“Yes he’s expecting me. The appointment isn’t under any name. He knows who I am” I say.
“Oh so you’re the special client he was telling me about. He cancelled three of his meetings to see you, you know? His office is up the stairs first door to your left” Smiled the lady. I thank her and walk quickly to his office anxious to see him. I am feeling a mixture of feelings. Happiness, excitement, fright, worry and the list goes on! I have no trouble finding his office. I don’t even bother knocking. I walk in and our eyes awkwardly meet. As I look at him for a long moment, my heart stops. I gasp.
“Hello nice to meet you. You don’t have to tell me your name take a seat.” He laughs. I stand there motionless as I take long, deep breaths. The stench of cigarettes hangs heavily in the air. The dimples, the hair. It’s all exactly the same. Except the name…… Smart. He is my uncle. My father’s brother.
“Something wrong mam?” He asks politely. I clear my throat “Yes” I shut the door behind me. My back is still facing him when I say “You don’t know how long I’ve waited for this day Rob Winsly.”
“What’s really going on here?” There is suspicion in his voice. I turn around to face him. He stands up and walks closer to me checking me out with a frown.
“Emma” He gasps “It’s been so long”
“Save it. I know what you did. Pathetic really. Killing your own brother? For what, a career? He trusted you! He loved you. Heck we all did! And my mother a poor, innocent woman brutally murdered. You proud of that? You should be ashamed! Guilty! You think changing your name is the solution to everything? You were the last person I suspected would do such a thing. Now you will have the same fate as my parents did.” I take out my gun pointing it in his direction. Will I be strong enough to pull the trigger? Remembering the love I once had for my uncle? He doesn’t seem surprised he is remaining calm.
“You wouldn’t dare” he spat.
“Try me” I threat.
“I should’ve killed you when I had the chance!” He yells and pulls out a gun of his own from his back pocket. Standing a metre apart death staring each other. Am I ready to die? I used to be afraid but now I will happily pass. That is, if my uncle comes with me. After watching him kill his own brother I know he will not hesitate to pull the trigger on me. What am I waiting for? I know he will retaliate which will result in my death, but I am willing to take the chance. If I die right here and now along with him, I will rest in peace knowing my mission on earth was achieved.
“Let’s talk...” says my uncle uneasily.
“I hate you.” I mutter and pull the trigger. The bullet punctures him in the chest just below his heart. He yelps in agony. My heart rate is racing and I’m sweating. I drop the gun in shock. He falls to his knees and with the little energy he has left, he pulls the trigger also aiming at my chest. I freeze, images of my life flashing before me. Then almost instantly it happens. The pain is indescribable and he got me under my left breast. Dangerously close to my heart. I drop to the floor panting. My heart beating ten times faster, harder fighting for life.
As I breathe my last,
This scene has quickly past.
I’m ready to go- go into the light
to finally reunite.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!