You Be The Judge!

It was Saturday, just after the sun had dawned and I started to head inside when I heard a rumble. It was soft and distant but felt dangerous. It felt like something sinister was coming like an eruption or explosion. I looked at the extinct volcano not so far from our little village. Don’t be silly I thought, it hasn’t erupted for hundreds of years and it won’t erupt again. Just at that precise moment I heard another rumble, more like a roar but much louder and clearer. I heard it several times before I realized that there were a few blood red drops trickling out of the top of the volcano. The clouds were growing big, black and beastly and the air was cold and stale. I was felling quite hot. Perspiration beaded on my forehead.

I ran like a strong current in the sea and headed into my little house. I flicked through the sets of keys looking for the keys to the new jeep. While I was doing that I hadn’t realized that the volcano was vomiting out hot, red, boiling magma that had already destroyed the close houses. It was now edging towards my house. Sprinting towards my car like a wild cheetah just let out of its cage, I flung open the car door and jumped into my seat. I had my driver’s license but I’d never driven alone before.

Just as I started driving off the silver, black and poisonous ash around me thickened so much that I couldn’t see. I drove 5 metres being careful not to crash into any surrounding trees. I kept on driving. I knew the village had been obliterated and so would the start of the forest. I inched forward 5 metres at a time. I had gone 100 metres. Suddenly, I crashed into a tree and the car jerked to a stop. I looked up to see the tree tilting. It fell on my blue jeep and I was knocked unconscious.

I woke up in Mt Toureyum Hospital feeling tired. Had the volcanic eruption been real? Was it a memory? Or just a dream? You be the judge.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!