Captain

CAPTAIN

The clear creek trickled past me. I could hear the sounds of kookaburra’s laughing high up in the gum trees. A wallaby bounced out of the bushes and looked up at me. I shifted on the dry dirt track. The crackling noise made the wallaby’s ears swivel forward. He bowed his body, like he was about to jump away. Then he scratched his ears with his paws. He slowly stared at me as I stood up. I looked behind me but by the time I turned back around he had disappeared I walked to my shed. I took two steps on the concrete floor before I heard a chomp, chomp, chomp beside the shed. As I peered out a fluffy black wallaby tail disappeared behind the open door. I walked out and there, right in front of me, was a whole troop of wallabies. And the one I had seen earlier was out front. He hopped away as fast as he could and the other wallabies followed.

That night as I lay in bed I decided to call him Captain, as he seemed a captain to his troop.

Next morning as the sun filtered through the gap under the side door I yawned and jumped out of bed. I walked over to the cupboard to get some wallaby food. I decided to get to know Captain. Did he bite? Did he scratch? Hard to know. Was he friendly? Hmmm. I gazed out at the bushes, beautiful flowing creek, gum trees, lyrebirds, wombats, and, of course, Captain’s troop.

I slowly walked closer, holding out the plastic bag of wallaby food. “Here, boy,” I whispered. Captain glanced at me, giving me the ‘I know you’ look. The sun was rising through the tall trees as I ripped open the packet of wallaby pellets. I slowly backed away, and ran to hide behind a post. I watched Captain hop up to the food, take a sniff, then dive right into it. Chomp, chomp, chomp went his strong jaws.

I came out from my hiding place, and tip-toed towards him. He looked at me, thinking I had more food. I froze. Captain went back to eating. I moved again. I was an arm-stretch away from him! I reached out, and with my fingers, stroked the fur on his back.

Then, as quick as lightning, he lunged at me, giving me a nasty scratch. “Owww!” I yelled. Blood curved its way down my left arm. I walked, half ran, up the small hill to my shed.

Slowly over time Captain and I became friends until that terrible day when ........

I came back from the creek to see something lying in the dirt. It was startling, scary. A poor dead wallaby lying on my driveway. I ran to see the dead wallaby. I crouched down, studying him. He had a black stripe down his tail… Just like Captain. He was a dusty shade of brown… Just like Captain. He had a greyish tummy…Just like Captain. Oh no. no. He couldn’t be. Oh yes, it was. Captain!!!!!!!


I wept over my dead friend. I buried him where I first saw him, near the lavender bush. I was sad as he been a good friend.

That evening I sat and stared at the bush around me thinking of the friend I had lost.


By

Naomi Hughes Yr 6

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!