Jaresiah's Smile

Jaresiah’s door stood closed. The harm exploitation had caused made any amount of privacy seem heavenly, but she knew it never stayed around for long. In the few moments she had, she did not laugh or smile. Joy was far from her reach and remained so distant that its existence seemed elusive. She had lost all she had and lived day by day, shattered by the sight of where her life had come to. It had been three months since she migrated from her home to a job apparently waiting in Ukraine; if only she hadn’t believed such a lie, her current circumstances would never have come into existence.
Jaresiah’s family -though very poor- treasured and loved each other greatly. But there had been a drop in the market in recent days, and no longer was love enough; the economic state showed no mercy to homes that were already facing paucity. However, one day people came, seeming superior and trustworthy enough. They stirred up Jaresiah’s heart for opportunity and travel and assured her that financial support was to be granted to her family. Without hesitation she left her home, obliviously trading her life for an awful, hellish reality.
She felt hopeless and alone. Her circumstances were deplorable and overpowering, her usual bubbly nature silenced. Keeping an eye on the door, Jaresiah cried vulnerably feeling deceived and abused until suddenly, she was startled out of her pity party, alarmed by the sound of nearing voices. How she wished she had the slightest bit of strength to even despise every corrupt, disgusting, twisted client that ever walked into her room.
This was the story recalled first-hand to me at my women’s shelter for young girls who have suffered from human trafficking. Jaresiah struggled to recount her story without mumbling or shaking. Her words were sparse as she tried to keep the shred of sanity she had left. Her eyes appeared lifeless, her nature cold and terrified. As I listened disturbed, shocked, stirred and shaken by such incomprehensible reality, I wondered where I had been, what I done whilst Jaresiah endured such extreme circumstances.
Even if it was happening on the other side of the world, what an intense thought to think Jaresiah’s story shared the same time frame as my own life events. What was I doing whilst this all took place? Eating? Hanging out with friends at the shops? Watching TV? I realised how unaware and self-centred our lives can become.
That night I wandered down the hallway of the women’s shelter, checking each room before I left for the night. I passed Jaresiah’s room and hesitated a moment before I gently knocked and quietly opened the door. The light from the hall pierced through the darkness and shone upon Jaresiah’s alarmed face. I gently whispered through the silence “No, no, it’s ok, it's just me. I just came to check you were alright, have a good sleep”. She smiled at my assuring voice and her eyes twinkled as she whispered back "Sorry, I just haven't felt so safe in such a long time, you’ve honestly given me my life back". Her touching words echoed in my mind; her smile, although so unfamiliar and foreign to Jaresiah, was so incredibly beautiful. As I carefully closed the door again, I couldn’t help but let a tear of happiness roll down my cheek as I pondered the fact that joy, something that was once so distant, had now began to return to Jaresiah’s life.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!