Jarred's Companion

“What a beautiful day that was.” Jarred said. It was a relaxing summer evening and the sun was setting, in the small town. Jarred watched as the people of the town were closing their businesses and returning to their homes. “Shame I don’t have anyone to share it with.” He said. He walked down the street to his small house. He lay on his mattress, thinking of the day that had just gone past.

Jarred walked out his house to another day at his shop. It was a small shop, worn down over time and rarely had any customers. It sold office supplies and stationery, all of which are outdated by at least a few months. Jarred sat at the counter, falling asleep yet again on his chair.

When he opened his eyes, he was greeted by a friendly smile. A lady was waiting at the counter, with a pile of pens and a stack of paper. Jarred got up quickly, and immediately started tapping on the cash register. “Twenty-five fifty.” Jarred said. The lady handed him two notes with a coin, and whispered to him, “My name’s Emily.” As she left the shop, Jarred took a while to examine her. He then examined the money she had given him. It had a strip of paper underneath the coin. It read, Call me, followed by the numbers 0847583947.

When Jarred returned to his home, he thought of the day that had gone past. The only thing that happened was the customer. The first he had in a few days. He tried to remember the customer’s appearance and gestures, although there was not much to remember. He then remembered the note. Jarred didn’t hesitate as he scrambled under the pile of junk to find his phone. He had almost forgotten how to use it, but took almost no time to dial the number on the crumpled strip of paper. The rhythmic tone of the phone dialling was new to him. It was a long wait until he had finally received a nice, heartwarming, “Hello.”

Their first conversation only lasted them a few minutes but eventually, it lasted them hours. Jarred met Emily almost every day at his shop, often Emily bringing with her some food. Jarred was living the best time of his life, with a companion, and sharing stories, but mostly stories of the outside world from Emily.

On one day, Jarred was sitting at the shop, awaiting the bright beams of happiness that Emily brought with her. But when se entered the shop, he was confronted with a sad face, a face of desperation. She explained to him that she was leaving the country tomorrow, and this was the last time she would see him. She tried to hide this day to not make him feel sad but this just made Jarred depressed.” It was nice talking to you.” Emily said as she left the shop for the last time.

Just like that, Jarred was alone again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!