Zero To Hero

It’s one week before cross country and I’m pretty much getting no where. “Last week, your record for two kilometres was 15.24 minutes.” said Dad. “Ready…..Set……Go!” he yelled. I jogged as fast I could, jumping over obstacles on the dead grass. Finally, I came to a pond which meant I needed to run another kilometre. I was already panting exhaustedly like a puppy. Eventually, I stopped to catch my breath. I estimated I’d run 1.6 kilometres. I started walking swiftly. ‘Poof!’ I hit the ground hard. Suddenly everything became black. I gasped opened-mouthed and wide-eyed.

That was actually six days ago. Anyway, here’s what happened. After everything was pitch black, I started to regain my sight. I finished the 2 kilometres race in just 6.78 minutes! What a miracle! Dad cheered loudly. So there I was, shocked out of my wits and here I am, six days later, thinking I’ve turned into some kind of freak. Tomorrow was cross-country! What was I going to do? People might pay hundreds, thousands or even millions for my autograph, picture or an interview if this running record was spread out. I mean being famous is good but I’d rather be myself. Yesterday, I finished the race in 1.38 minutes! Can you believe it? What will I be tomorrow? One micro-second?

The next day, time passed real quickly. I was already at school. Then I was going to race and ‘Bang!’ the race started. I raced to the front. The view was passing so quickly and ‘voila!’ I finished the race in 56 seconds. The crowd went wild. Everyone wanted my autograph. When the day ended, Anne, my crush, asked me if I’d go to her birthday party. “Yes!” I replied with a smile. Her birthday was two days later.

The following day, we had sports day. Firstly, we did high jump. I knew my worst enemy, Adam, would win. He had his go and ‘Wham!’ I’d kiss first place goodbye. Everyone clapped. He’d jumped over the 1.5 metre bar by 1 metre! The teacher just gave him first place automatically. Then I jumped. ‘Bang!’ I hit the 70 metres high ceiling and luckily landed on the mat. Everyone clapped. I let out a smile. The teacher took off first place from Adam and gave it to me. He looked furious .Then I did long jump. I sprinted, leapt through the air and landed way past the end of the sandpit. It was about 20 metres! Once again, I received first place.

The day of Anne’s birthday was also great. In the morning, we had assembly and I received three medals and a trophy. Each medal was for first in cross-country, first in high jump, first in long jump and a trophy for the ‘young athlete boy’ award. After school, I walked to Anne’s house. I knocked on the door and it opened. Everyone cheered. We watched all the Scary Movies and had dinner.

Reaching home, I realized being a freak wasn’t so bad.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!