Game Day

As nervous as anything I stepped out of the car, onto the hard black bitumen of the stadium car park. As I did so, I felt a nice cool breeze on the back of my neck comfort me and settle my nerves.
I headed towards the security gates, showed pass and entered. Then made my way slowly, and cautiously towards the dressing rooms. As I anticipated I was the first person to arrive. This was good as I liked to be early. I was full of excitement as I went through my usual routine of pregame stretches, to warm myself up.
At that moment the captain of the team walked through the door and joined me. While we stretched we discussed the game we had on our hands. England, we agreed, would be a tough opponent to beat. I pulled on my white shirt and nestled my baggy green cap comfortably upon my head. I was ready for whatever they could throw at me, literally.
As I came back in from my warm up I could see the captains on the pitch, ready to toss the coin. I watched with the anticipation as the coin rotated in the air and landed on the grass. For some time there was confusion but eventually the umpire pointed towards my captain. We had won the toss and my captain made a sign towards the dressing room to say we were batting.
I didn’t wait for further confirmation. I went straight to my kitbag and started to pad up. I liked to wait on the other team and be ready early. My captain came back in and started padding up with me. He and I were the opening batsmen. For a second time we talked tactics and as usual zoned in on the job ahead of us. I did one last routine check of everything and was ready to go and totally focused.
The reality of this game had been with me for the last month now. It had been, ever since I was picked in the squad. Cricket was what I lived for. The position I was in now, was what I had worked hard for, all my life. We had one last team talk before I took the field. We all knew our roles. But for the moment, it was just my captain and I out there, on the biggest stage in the world, carrying the weight of our country on our shoulders.
As I passed the fence and stepped onto the rich green grass there was a roar of excitement from the crowd. There were many eyes on me. I knew those of my parents were there watching me, wishing me well somewhere in the stadium. I made my way out to the pitch and took my guard. I was standing in front of thousands of people. I was at the MCG, on Boxing Day, opening the batting for Australia. There was no place I’d rather be.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!