Underwater Rescue

It was a dark, cloudy day in the town of Theodore where two girls named Opal and Sapphire lived. They were the greatest friends. They were both tall but had different coloured hair. Opal’s hair was long and blonde while Sapphire’s hair was short and red. This weekend they were going camping at Redwood River.

They left on the three hour car journey straight after school. When they arrived they helped Opal’s dad Jim set up the tent, organized their bedding and pulled on their gumboots ready to explore. They headed down to the waters edge where there was a canoe sitting on the sand.
‘Should we go on it?’ asked Sapphire.
‘I dare you to!’ replied Opal. Sapphire stepped on and sat down. As Opal followed the canoe tilted and both girls were tipped into the water.

Opal tried to swim to the surface but something pulled her down. She opened her mouth to squeal when she realized she was breathing. Sapphire opened her mouth and started to breathe. The amazement swooped through them as they twirled through the water. Opal swam deeper into the depths of the river to investigate what was pulling her down. There was a girl trapped under fishing net with small boulders holding it down. She had tears streaming down her cheeks and was begging for help.

The girls pushed the boulders from the net allowing it to float free and release the girl. ‘Thank you so much! She said gratefully. ‘My brother and sister have been looking for me. They have come swimming so close to me that I could almost grab them. My arms are just not long enough. You’re the only ones who have been swimming since.’ She said happy but sad at the same time.

By the time the girls surfaced, Jim was searching for them. He was delighted they were safe and took them all back to camp for a barbeque.


1 YEAR LATER…

Opal’s family and Sapphire went to Redwood River again. They stopped at the little shack where the girl lived on the way there. They called to see the girl they rescued but the house looked abandoned. As they investigated, they found the girl very distraught. “I can’t find my brother and sister. They have been missing for weeks!” she told us.
‘It’s ok; said Opal. Suddenly the door burst open and the older brother and sister stepped in. They were a mess. Their hair was all knotty and covered in dirt. The little girl’s mouth dropped open. She raced to hug them.
‘Where were you!?’ the little girl cried.
‘We don’t know’ said the older brother, ‘It was in the bush somewhere. We were left there all alone. It took us days to get back to you!’ Sapphire cried with relief.

Opal and Sapphire headed to their campsite happy with the knowledge that once again they were able to help their friend.

The End

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!