Pain, Anger, Depression, Hope

Lying there, amidst the tall grass, I was lost in the scent of spring flowers bursting from their buds. All I could hear was the twittering of birds and the gentle trickling of the flowing river. I tried to shut out everything else: all the arguing and fighting; the anger, pain and depression. They were the only feelings flying wildly around the house. I tried to shut it out.

I could still hear screaming at the back of my mind. I just wanted to get away from it all. No one ever listened to me; all they did was torment me. I didn’t want to live! I never got anything. My parents favoured my brother beyond his dreams! I wanted to escape from all the madness! But what would escaping do to help me? I had no friends, since my parents had forced me into isolation. I had forgiven them, time after time, hoping that they would change the next day, hoping it was all a nightmare and I would awake to find parents of tender kindness and hearts of gold. But time after time, I have been disappointed. Every night, I cry myself to sleep. Every morning, a day of pain and suffering is yet to come. The only things I can share my feelings with are the birds that rarely pass by our desolate backyard.

However, there I was, in my new hiding place; the perfect place for quiet and peaceful meditation. There, by the creek, I felt free and could finally share my feelings with something. I was surrounded by the creations of Mother Nature. I was relaxed without a care in the world. I was at sixteen years of age and had no social life; my chances of a girlfriend were slim.

That all changed one day, when I was again sitting in my hidey-hole, when I suddenly heard sobbing. It was coming from a cave behind a curtain of ivy. I crept silently and cautiously up to the mouth of the cave and heard the sobbing abruptly stop. Then there were sudden sounds of scrambling and a girl with long, brown hair shot out of the cave and out of my sight.

One day, I found her again, watching me from behind a bush. Making an attempt to be friends, I started a conversation. She started off really shy but began to develop confidence as we talked. Shianne, that was her name, was also in the same difficult situation I was in. We talked for many hours. By the time I had to go, I was feeling light-hearted, so I started meeting Shianne every day.

Then one day, I had the courage to ask her if she wanted to have dinner. She said YES! I was so happy; it was probably my life’s biggest achievement! That night I felt like the happiest teen in the world. I had finally found love.

Now I know that even with pain, anger and depression, there is always hope.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!