Earthquake

It started as an ordinary day, but I would never forget it. I woke up to find that my crazy dog had dug up the garden. “That’s thirty times in only two weeks!” I said. “Bad dog” I shouted. It’s ridiculous, my dog just doesn’t understand.
At that moment I heard crying and it sounded timid. I rushed inside to the crying and found it was my mum. The China that had been passed down an infinite number of generations, had slipped off the shelf and broken.
“It can be fixed mum, really it can” I told her.
Suddenly the dog came in. It ran under the table and balled up. My mum went outside to see if there was something wrong. I saw her fall and other people too. Next down was me. Dad came downstairs and started complaining. All this could only mean one thing. Earthquake!! I shouted “It’s an earthquake that’s doing this”
Dad fell down like the rest of us.
“Get mum and get under the table with Max!” I shouted. Dad did as I said and just in time too, the plaster from the roof fell down just after they got under the table. Then a brick or two popped out of the wall and one hit dad on the head. He yelled in pain. Fortunately the first-aid fell down too. I grabbed a bunch of cotton balls and mum helped me tape them to dads wound. Dad was thankful as the pain eased a bit. “Shoosh” dad whispered loudly. The shaking settled and we dimmed our voices. “What happens now?” I asked.
“I think we wait to be found. By the look of things around here I don’t believe we’re going anywhere!” said dad.
He was right - we were there to stay, for now anyway. We tried to move the bricks and other bits of rubble with a bit of success but we just tired our muscles.
“I remember from class that there is suppose to be an after shock that follows an earthquake.” I said. “There should be more shaking soon.” I definitely wasn’t wrong, as soon as I finished my sentence the shaking began again, but not as violent as before, thankfully. “I’m glad it’s only an after shock.” said dad. “It’s not as powerful as before.”
“Hey, I hear footsteps. Rescuers are coming!” I said.
“Is anyone in there?” said the rescuer
“YES, YES” we shouted
“Ok listen to me. We’ll get the rubble away from this side and you do the same over there.” he said.
We heaved away the rubble and walked to the front door of the house.
“It’s good to be outside again” I said.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!