EARTHALANCHE!!

The river twisted and turned through the ancient trees as the first fruit blossomed through the leaves. Birds soared over the treetops, singing to the world. It was a beautiful day, and the fruit was ripe so I decided to shoot some fruit. I looked around. There was my dads old shack which was surrounded by woodland, miles of rich green perfect for archery. I love this place.
Then it started, first it was just a wobble then the ground gave way to an earthquake. Cracks formed everywhere, trees toppled over and smashed into the ground narrowly missing me. 'Run,' a voice said 'get to the cliff. It sounded so distant like an echo but I decided to listen because just then an endless chasm 300 times the size of my house appeared in front of me.
I ran like a Cheetah as clumps of earth the size of boulders smashed on either side of me, go on Mother Nature, throw boulders at me see if I care. My heart was pounding, my legs were throbbing but my mind kept saying you stop you die.
I finally reached the cliff and I nearly punched myself I was so foolish to look around. My home was gone, all I could see was an avalanche of earth, it was an earthalanche! the cracks in the ground raced towards me. Oh and did I tell you it was so big that it touched the clouds, yeah that part made me jump.
I was falling to my death, the ocean smashing into the rocks underneath me, stinging my face. Huh? Do people usually stop mid-air. I looked up.
'You should have seen your face.' A girl about 13, my age with sea-green eyes and black hair tumbling down her shoulders stood on a tiny ledge on the cliff face holding the collar of my shirt.
'Um, thanks.' I whimpered.
'No problem.' She said like this was a regular thing. She looked at the hole in the cliff face. 'In you go.'
THUMP, I landed on a carpet of vines, really the vines grew around to make a floor. This place was amazing. It was a spacious cave but the vines and the rocks grew out in weird places creating furniture. But on the roof of the cave were rivers of gold that snaked though the cracks.
The girl was standing next to me. 'Hi,' she said in a voice that echoed back to me. 'My name is Grace, and yours?'
'Jason.' I mumbled.
'You were lucky I came, you don't know what's happening do you?'
'No.' I said
'Well it's like this, the spirits have become restless, they have been possessing people all over the world and from the looks of what just happened the've possessed earth itself and if that's true we're doomed, simple.'
'How, why, what, when?' I said
KABOOM. 'Oh no' her eyes widened to exploding point. 'Oh this is very very bad.'
'What is it?' I yelled over the bangs.
'Stay here, I'm going onto the cliff face I can get a good shot from there.' She yelled 'or you can go rock climbing.'
Three words - Pegasus, earth, bad and not pretty little girl Pegasus, I mean a crazy flying killing machine made out of earth Pegasus. It was smashing into the cliff face with Grace narrowly dodging it. What was I going to do? I picked up my bow and arrow and shot. Bye bye Pegasus.
'Yes!' Grace yelled 'or maybe not because it's the end of the world.'

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!