Candlelit Waltz

The snow was stark white against the blue of the sky, the snow covered trees blending seamlessly with the hills of ice. I shook in the bitter coldness, even under the harsh sunlight, and swore to all the gods that have ever deceived me in my life – I was just trying to do something with my life. I fell to my knees, clutching my stomach tightly to try and stop the snow from turning red with the crimson gore that spilt from between my fingers. The sob echoed in my ears as I fell into the icy mass and stared up at the cerulean sky. The tears froze on my cheeks as they fell, but I still managed a smile. I was thankful I could see something so beautiful, before my world turned into an endless stormy night.
I gasped loudly as I woke up, opening my eyes to meet only darkness; I rolled my head in confusion as I heard footsteps. My throat was hoarse as I tried to speak, only managing a low rasped as the cold of the stone I was laying on seeped through into my bones. “Hungry, yes?” A light voice chimed out from the dark. I shifted myself as the putrid smell of iron filled my lungs and my mouth becoming soddening sickly. I tried to sit up and I found coarse ropes bound my wrists. “Do not worry my Dear, we all are when we wake. But there are millions of people waiting for us when we rise.” She chimed again in a sweet voice as I began to struggle weakly.
“Now, now. Don’t be frightened. It’s just a little safety measure.” She reassured as she loomed over me and I could see the evil glinting in her fiery amber eyes. “Be calm – all will be explained.” She gave me a toothy – sorry fanged – grin before reaching over to undo the bonds. “Welcome home Elsie.” The familiar, pale face smiled warmly and I tipped my head. “Who are you?” I asked and she gave a light laugh. “I’m sorry I wasn’t there for you in the start, but I promise I will walk with you for the rest of eternity.” She held her hand out to me and helped me onto my feet swiftly; I briefly looked down to see myself in a beautifully fitting white gown. “I am your mother Elsie – of birth right.” She smiled as she embraced me, taking me over to the double doors and opened them to the candlelit ballroom crowded with people. “And this is your family of the night. Come, meet them with your new vampire senses.” She smiled and I felt as though her words were comforting and I felt like I was in the right place, within the right skin. “Thank you.” I smiled as we weaved through the crowds and began to waltz the evening away and was taught the ways of my ancestors before me.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!