Rain

I was sitting on a warm step stone watching the big, grey, spongy clouds slowly drift along the bright blue sky. I began to feel something soft on my face, arms and legs. It was rain. It began to drip off my home roof and plop on my head. The rain started to get louder and louder as it made the puddles shake. It started to drop down the gutter like a waterfall tumbling over rocks. I slowly stood up with water pounding down at me, and I began to walk calmly through the wet puddles with my boots squeaking.
Suddenly I heard a bang, light flashed before my eyes as white as ever and a long heavy branch fell down in front of me like a rocket. My heart jumped, as it fell and crashed breaking into shards but my body didn’t move a bone or a muscle. I began to feel sick and started to lose my breath. I gulped as another lightning bolt struck the black flashing sky. I looked back at my home, it was a blur and the rain bounced off the ground like millions of small balls making it look like a wall.
Then I started to feel something banging against me, pelting me, hurting me and then smashing to the ground, it was hail. It sped down onto my roof crashing into the gutter like marbles rolling down a tube. It was making exciting but annoying sounds, loud and monstrous. It fell so thick and so quick. All around me all I could see was thick hail. It looked like I had been transformed to a different place and time. A winter wonderland filled with snow. I had the urge to jump into it just like what you would do with freshly fallen powder snow. But my senses told me that somehow it wouldn’t feel the same.

With one more lightning strike the storm was over like it had never happened. Over as fast as it had started. The only evidence of it was the puddles and the damage it had caused and the stormy clouds that were now slowly drifting away. I could see the blue sky again. I began to feel my legs and arms again, so I decided to test them out. I slowly stood up and had to lean against a tree to gain my balance.
I began to see a splash of red, blue, green and orange. Then I saw a dash of purple, yellow and pink. It was a rainbow, the colours were so bright and grand and it almost brought tears to my eyes. It was the most picturesque scene I have ever witnessed.
Even better was the glistening of water left behind. Puddles, puddles, every-where puddles. They were so beautiful and inviting. Shining and sparkling. So irresistible that I knew what I must do. Splash and jump, spin and swirl through all of them. How surprising to find such a terrifying storm so quickly disappear to reveal such beauty. I loved it!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!