Back In Time...

I woke up in a large bed in a Victorian style bedroom. It definitely wasn’t the one at my house. I sat up and noticed I was wearing a cream coloured corset. I looked to see Charles, asleep beside me. I was relieved, at least I wasn’t alone. I got out of the bed carefully and went to the window and gasped. We were just in 1800’s England! I stared at the scene in front of me. There were a few bigger mansions, just like the one I seemed to be in, and the rest of the buildings were small houses and some big factories. I remembered learning about the Industrial Revolution in History. People walked the streets in battered and torn clothes and horse drawn carriages carried the wealthy. Suddenly I felt Charles’s arms wrap around me and I smiled.
“Good morning beautiful…” He whispered in my ear and I turned to look at him.
“H-Hi... What’s going on?” He took a deep breath.
“It seems that we’re back to when I was here around this time…” He looked me in the, “Don’t be afraid okay? I’ll protect you I promise… You’re just my beautiful wife for now…” He smiled and I smiled.
“That sounds nice…” I said and he kissed me.
“Good…” We heard a knock on the door and we turned to see a lady walk in. She was a dark skinned young woman with a battered outfit, she looked like a maid.
“Mr and Mrs Hartley…” She whispered her voice nervous. Charles stood up and smiled softly.
“Hello Gail, how are you this morning?” He asked politely as he walked over to the dresser near the walk in wardrobe. It looked as though Gail had relaxed, probably because Charles wasn’t going to hurt her like her previous employer probably did.
“I-I’m well thank you… How are you and your wife?” She asked and I smiled at her.
“We’re well… What time is our lunch?” Charles asked as he went through his draws.
“In an hour… Would you like me to alert Elaine so she can come help Mrs Hartley?”
“Yes thank you Gail… That would be perfect…” Charles’s voice was much more formal than normal and I smiled. Gail left and Charles looked up at me, knowing I had a million questions.
“Ask away Baby…” He sighed as he went to bring out an old fashioned suit.
“You lived here?” I asked and he nodded.
“Yes… Next?” He chuckled.
“You had staff?” I asked quietly.
“Mmm… A cook, maid, waitresses, tailors and gardeners… Anything else?”
“Yeah um… Where are we going?” He laughed and came to wrap his arms around me.
“We’re going to see some of my old business partners… Mr Thomas and his wife and children…” I smiled.
“What were you two working on?”
“He and I owned a factory… He took over after I couldn’t work with him anymore…” He explained a grim look on his face. Sounded like they weren’t too popular…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!