Take Your Pick

It’s an early Monday morning, I’m walking down the street. The cold windy air whips across my face and I have my guitar in hand with its broken string. I turn left and cross the empty road and to my right is a small shop I often visit. I step inside and the voice of a woman greets me. “Hello, Lexie” “Hi, Anna” I say as her eyes wander to my guitar, she says “come around the back, I’ll repair it in no time!” I smile and follow her. I leave my guitar to be repaired and wait in the shop. After a while I walk to the front desk and I see Anna carrying my guitar out. I hand over the cash and as I do in the corner of my eye I see a poster. “Do you know anything about that poster?” I ask while keeping my eyes fixed on it. She turns to see the poster, pulls it off the wall and places it onto the counter. “It’s a music contest for young instrument players aged 14 – 16, Lexie you’re 14, you can compete!” “I don’t think so” “we have these new picks in” Anna says as she points to them, she looks at me and lowers her voice “they have powers, they make you play really good!” she says with a grin “Are you sure?” “Positive!” she says “Pick whatever one you want, no charge, as long as you play in the contest” “ok” I say as I grab the pick that is striped with my three favourite colours blue, pink and turquoise. “Thanks Anna” I shout as I leave the shop with my guitar and new pick.
As I wake up from a deep sleep, I roll over and look at my clock. It reads ‘Sunday 8 o’clock’, the day of the contest! I get out of bed, put on my clothes, tie back my long blonde hair and head downstairs for breakfast.
I’m here at the contest and I’m next, I pick up my guitar from the case and open the pocket that contains the magic pick. But there’s no pick! My pick! I can’t go on without it. I hear my name being called to come on stage. I hesitate but go anyway, I start to feel dizzy and sweaty. I look at everyone and start to play, I’m wondering if I sound really bad. I finish playing, everyone claps and I walk off stage hoping for the best.
“In third place, Emma Smiths!” that’s the judges announcing the winners “Second place, Hugh Bennett! And now the winner of Music Festival is Lexie Jones, come on up!” I gasp and make my way to the stage.
After the contest Anna congratulates me and says “did you use the pick I gave you?” “I couldn’t find it” “well, it’s not magic! I made it up so you would believe in yourself! “Thank you Anna!” I say as Anna gives me the ‘magic’ pick.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!