Zombified

I needed to get away. What was that?! I turned around. No! They’re catching up! I was losing my breath and my legs had almost stopped. I can’t do this anymore! I stopped and the rumble of feet finally caught up to me. I was perspiring, not only because I was running a marathon, but because I was scared. I turned. The discoloured bodies surrounded me, growling. One placed its mouth on me and I prepared for the worst.

Hang on a minute…. The zombies aren’t devouring me! They’re…. licking me? I looked down and noticed my arms were blood stained from the deathly bodies’ tongues. A warm sensation flowed through my body and a pleasant scream escaped my lips. When the zombies left, I collapsed into a messy heap as the feeling got stronger. About ten minutes later my eyes shut. I still don’t know whether that was when I died or whether I was just asleep.

I feel different….. Off in a way… I bolted upright. What did the zombies do to me?! Am I one of them? How? I made a sound. I-I….I just growled! I glanced at my sickly green skin and made a small incision. A thick jelly-like substance leaked from the area and as I examined it, I realised it was my blood. Then I noticed another thing; no pain! I decided to go for a walk. I felt like I was on top of the world so I started jogging. After about twenty five minutes I realised I wasn’t getting tired.

I let out a glorious growl and someone screamed. I decided to follow whoever screamed to tell them how amazing the life of a zombie is. There was a man and a woman together. Hey! I tried to call. The only thing that came out was a growl. Oh, that’s right. I can’t speak English. I wanted to get to the couple so I ran faster. I was almost there when the man pulled out a rifle and started shooting at me. It was then that I realised I couldn’t communicate with these humans by chasing after them. I had an idea.

When they looked at me I raised my hand and pointed to a stationery store. I went in and found things scattered everywhere. What I needed was a whiteboard. Bingo! I wrote ‘Hello. My name is Jeff’ and waited for the couple. I looked outside and noticed that they came back, fully alert. I hurried back to the whiteboard when they got in. They couldn’t believe their eyes, and neither could I!

‘The zombies got me. It’s okay because I’m not a brain-dead killing machine like in the movies. I growl, but that’s all. Do you want to join me? If not, I still love you. You are great parents.’ They glanced at each other cautiously then mum slowly took a step forward. Dad did too then we couldn’t fight it any longer; we went in for an embrace.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!